Thursday 27 November 2014

Thursday 27/11/2014 - Coffin Dodgers @ Emerald Fishery - Ruby Lake

I am amazed how much traffic is on the ring road at 06:30! Steady drive down the M5 in very damp and misty conditions. I returned via the A38 which was also steady and uneventful drive, home by 17:30.

It was breakfast in the Hilltops Café with Dave, Dave and Norman.

As there were 13 of us Mike Jones decided to put us all on Ruby. A good decision I thought.

I drew peg 1 at the top end near bank, opposite where I was last match.

The peg was a bit of a Parrot cage so the Ronnie rig would have to be cast under hand. I also set up a 4 x14 Jolly to be fished at 4 metres. I was pleasantly surprised to find I had a foot more water than the last opposite peg.

For company on peg 2 I had pooper scooper expert Dave Bacon, who chucked it to the pimple of an island midway across with the Carp dragging the rod in as soon as it landed.

The plan as last time was to fish for the Silvers so I started and finished the match on the Ronnie rig, with single caster over loose fed caster. The Ronnie’s in Ruby are well worth catching but the Silver fishing is continually disrupted by the many, many small Carp in this Lake. By intentionally feeding all over the swim I managed to keep adding the odd Ronnie to 10oz to the keeper.

I finished the match with 11lb 2oz of Silvers which was well ahead of the next Silver weight plus 54lb 6oz of Carp for a total of 65lb 8oz for third overall.

I really enjoy fishing this venue with plenty of fish to be caught from all pegs as the weigh sheet shows.

The match was won again by Rich Coles (pictured right with the Silvers winner) from the same bank but opposite end with 86lb 1oz from peg 5. Rich caught at 10 metres using dead red hook bait over kindered wetted micro. Rich later caught on 6mm expander.

Paul Locke came expecting to mug us pensioners but ended up being a chip shop sandwich. Anyway he did significantly lower the average age!!

Full Result:

  1. Rich Coles 86-01-0 peg 5
  2. Dave Bacon 71-06-0 peg 2
  3. Mike Nicholls 65-08-0 peg 1
  4. Normal Huggett 54-14-0 peg 13
  5. Pete Turner 42-11-0 peg 12
  6. Mike Key 41-15-0 peg 10
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 11-02-0 peg 1
  2. Andy Smith 4-14-0 peg 6
  3. Mike Jones 4-13-0 peg 4 (ounced out)
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: