Sunday 2 November 2014

Sunday 02/11/2014 - Ivy House Open - Specimen Lake

Bela arrived as usual on time but found that his windscreen wipers had stopped working. We did the usual non-mechanic stuff – Fuse, wiggling wires etc… without success. I suggested Bela leave his van at mine and we go in my car. However, Bela needed to sort things out for work on Monday so he went back home. I went in the car. Another easy drive, I didn't have a car in front of me all the way, that don’t happen very often.

It looks as if the Indian Summer is about to end.

 Because the individual winter league had started on the Match Lake (25 fishing) the open was on the Specimen Lake where 15 were booked in so not many pegs empty.

In to the draw coffee tin and out comes peg 6. As I haven’t fished the Lake before I didn’t have a clue, except Andy Lloyd said there were plenty on Roach to be had.

Arriving at the peg I had Vine Shipp and Bullseye on peg 7 and Rupp on peg 5 (third time I have drawn next to him in a row). The water looked very clear.

I set up a 4x16 Jolly to be fished at 10 metre where I had 8 foot of water with it getting deeper the further I went out. I set up the Ronnie rig and a 4 metres whip with a Crow quill waggler.

I started at 10 metres with soft 4mm pellet fished over some micro and soft 4’s. I also started loose feeding caster on the Ronnie rig line. After 20 biteless minutes on the pellet I switched to the Ronnie rig and had half a dozen 2-3oz Ronnie’s on single caster, but it was difficult to keep them this close. So out went the 4 metre whip where I did have a few more but I reckon I missed 10 bites before I actually caught one!!

A Ronnie match it would be then, so I went back on the 10 metre line but this time kindering in caster and with single caster on the hook I started to get bites but again was missing loads. I then had a 12oz Skimmer and a 12 oz Perch. With 2 hours left I stayed on the long line where I started to catch Ronnie’s steady which got better the nearer the end we got!!

No Carp. My Silvers weighed 11lb 8oz for first in the Silvers.

The match was won by Alan Smith with three Carp to 17lb for 39lb 8oz from peg 14. Alan caught at 4 metres using maggot hook bait over maggot.

Runner up was Andy Weston (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 23lb 3oz from peg 13. Andy caught similar to Alan but shorter just on his top set. No picture of Alan as he had gone straight home.

Full Result:

  1. Alan Smith 39-08-0 peg 14
  2. Andy Weston 23-02-0 peg 13
  3. Robbo 16-02-0 peg 8
  4. Lee Pearce 13-06-0 peg 12
  5. Ryan Shipp 13-0-0 peg 3
  6. Mike Nicholls 11-08-0 peg 6
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 11-08-0 peg 6
  2. Des Shipp 10-0-0 peg 18
 Weigh Sheet:


No comments: