Friday 14 November 2014

Bill Milton

Bill Milton passed away recently aged 82 after a long illness.

I have known Bill for many years, often seeing him at the BAWA Rock and Roll Revival nights with his long time partner Mary. For some time Bill and Mary were Friday night regulars at my local pub “Dando’s”. However, I will remember him mostly through match angling where he had a very big presence.

Two events have stuck in my mind over the years.

The first was at the Bathampton AA Christmas Match where I drew peg 54 “The Bream Hole”. However, I didn’t run to the peg as it hadn’t fished well for some weeks due to weather effects on the river which had pushed the Bream into the thirties and twenties which tended to happen at this time of year. On next peg 53 was Bill (pictured top centre -  ready for the off). As there was plenty of water on (but not enough for Lobbies) I set up just the feeder using the small open ended Drennan variety. Bill came down for a chat and ridiculed my little feeder. Bill had recently got back from fishing in Ireland with Pete Hodge and showed me his “Splodger”. I think he attached it to his line by the pull ring!! The match started and there was an enormous splash over tight to the far bank in to the main flow. I cast short into the slack and was soon netting a 1lb Skimmer, next cast I lost one. That was it for me for the rest of the match. Bill hadn’t had a bite even though he kept waking me up with his “Splodging”. In the last half hour Bill netted three Bream for 12lb and with the river fishing poor this put him either second or third overall.

The second was in a Commercial House match on Fry’s. Bill was fishing for Jaynes Contractors and me Fry’s A. Bill and I had drawn next to each other below the trees, just in to the deep water, a great draw considering the river was well up. Now Bill was a playful sort of guy and took pleasure in light hearted wind ups, his favourite play mate being Paul Lombard. I think he picked out Paul because Paul could not only give it but take it too. More heavy rain was forecast so Bill had put up his umbrella and because of the steep banks at Fry’s this obscured the top of the bank. Paul Lombard crept up on Bill and started to urinate from a great height on his brollie. Bill shouted out what the **** and peeped around the brollie only to get slashed by some after spray in his face. Bill went berserk scrambling up the bank after the “laughing hyena” (those that know Paul would recognise his laugh) who was much too quick for the “Bear”. Bill and I had a good days fishing. Back for the result in Fry’s club Bill was on the look out for Paul. Paul liked his cider and it wasn’t long before he had enough on board to tease the Bear. Unfortunately the drink had slow him down sufficiently for Bill to get him in a head lock. Now Bill was enormously strong man. The hyena had to take what the Bear gave out, Bill not letting him go until Paul nearly passed out.


Bill was much better than me at telling stories which he had many. Rest in peace matey I and many others will miss you.

No comments: