Monday 6 October 2014

Sunday 05/10/2014 - Ivy House Open - Match Lake

Travelled on my own today because Tackle Tart Bakos was getting his gear ready for the Stafford Moor October Fest starting next Monday!!! It wasn’t long before the phone rang. As I reached the fishery the car started to make a pinging noise to warn me that the temperature had fallen to 4 degrees. The first thin I thought of was did I have enough warm clothes – not quite.

I was third in to the draw coffee tin and out comes peg 18. Another new peg for me, not drawn the same peg twice yet. I was able to drive close to the peg so that was ok. The peg was a bit exposed to the chilly wind albeit it not that strong. By the end of the match I would be shivering.

The plan was to fish it identical to last match – silvers being under threat. So I set up a Ronnie rig for 4 metres and a 4x14 jolly to fish at 6 metres where there was a reasonable depth of 5 foot. I did see a Carp swirl in the margin so as back up I set up a 4x12 jolly to fish 5 metres down the LH edge.

I started by putting 4 big balls of GB laced with caster at 4 metres. This will be the last time do this as once again I didn’t catch anything significant over it. I was left wondering if the Carp move in above the GB, but no physical sign of this. At least I will save some money on GB. I fed the 6 metre Skimmer line with semi hard 4’s and a pot of casters/micro down the edge.

Having all but abandoned the GB line I fished the 6 metre line for about half the match catching a few small Skimmers before I would hook a Carp. There seemed to be plenty of them disrupting the Skimmers. By this time I reckon I had about 10lb skimmers, four Carp and one stockie. Time for me to try the LH margin with double caster hook bait then. Laying the float out and pulling it up the edge the float went straight away which I missed. I knew this was a Ronnie, I dropped back in and hooked a 8oz Ronnie which I bumped – you would on 22 elastic! So I picked up the Ronnie rig and had a good hour and half catching decent Ronnie’s to 8oz. The Carp were being attracted but managed to only foul hook one. By the end I reckon I had 10lb of Skimmers and 10 lb of Ronnie’s.

My Silvers in fact went 22lb 10oz for first in the Silvers and my Five Carp taking me to a total of 46lb 5oz (me pictured right with the match winner).

Other than getting cold I had a great day – my sort of fishing – working hard for your fish.
 
The match was won by Jamie Compton (pictured right with some of his catch) with 166lb from peg 21. Jamie caught all his fish on maggot fished at 11.5 metres down his RH margin in about 12 inches of water. Jamie fed 1 ½ Kilos of Ringers Margin GB laced with a few maggots. Jamie had sieved the GB and dyed it with Sensas green. I thought he had a steady tidy match with no drama with these big margin Carp. Well done matey.

Full Result:

  1. Jamie Compton 166-0-0 peg 21
  2. Baggie 123-13-0 peg 29
  3. Steve Chandler 108-05-0 peg 32
  4. Mick Lane 80-07-0 peg 12
  5. Steve Rich 65-09-0 peg 35
  6. Alan Oram 57-07-0 peg 45
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 22-10-0 peg 18
  2. Dave Young 20-07-0 peg 43
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: