Monday 8 September 2014

Sunday 07/09/2014 - Ivy House Open - Match Lake

What a lovely easy drive it is to this fishery. Bela and I have committed to fish the Todber Manor Autumn league coming up soon, but we both thought we would reduce the number of leagues we fish, so decided on the way back that we would give the Viaduct Silvers league a miss for this year. Hence, will be able to pick and choose a bit more where we fish.

I have been feeling that I have lost my way with the Silvers fishing, as over the summer I have been in the main catching Carp with half hearted attempts for the Silvers. I do find fishing for Carp repetitive and a tad boring, especially playing the larger variety. After the last match at Ivy House where I drew a Carp peg I found that there were plenty of Ronnie’s to be caught so promised myself on the next visit I would do a trial fish for them. The lake was flat calm and bright sunshaine usually means the Skimmers wouldn’t feed.

Because Huntstrete isn’t available for matches I have booked the Ivy House New Canal for Thursday 25/09/14 for the Coffin Dodgers. Mike Jones will be in contact with details. So after one of Karen’s breakfasts I borrowed a near waterproof marker pen and wrote some of the peg numbers on the pallets of the new Canal.

It was then time to jump the draw queue and out comes corner end peg 47. Not the peg I would have chosen for Ronnie fishing as in tends to be a big Carp peg, long down the RH edge. The furthest I was prepared to go was 11.5 metres.

So I set up two paste rigs (why!) a Ronnie rig and a 4x14 jolly. Both of these rigs to be fished at 5 metres.

I fed a pot of wetted micros down the end margin at 11.5 metres, followed by a small helping of micro and caster on the 5 metre line. I started feeding caster at 1 metre out from the bank down the LH margin, but not for long as I snagged up and trashed the rig before I had a bite. Instead of attaching a new rig (which I should have done) I picked up the Jolly and with double caster I started to catch Ronnie’s, which persuaded me to out another Ronnie rig which I fished over the 5 metre line. I had a run of Ronnie’s but if I over fed they would disappear up in the water so it was a question of getting the feeding right for the depth I fished. After about two hours I fancied Carp ad chased the Ronnie’s off. With no Carp I was well behind as Anton Page who was catching well on peg 27 behind me, so was a couple of other anglers I could see. SO WHY ON ERTH DID I SPEND THE NEXT TWO HOURS TRYING TO CATCH CARP!! I caught a Ghost Carp first try down the end margin on paste followed by a foul hooker which disappeared under my platform along with my rig. WHY DID I PUT ANOTHER RIG ON!!

The upshot was I went back on the caster and Ronnie rig for the last hour with only a hand full of caster left because I had put three big pot full’s down the margin chasing Carp, WHY!! I had a reasonable 45 minutes as in the last 10 minutes I landed two decent Skimmers with one flying off the hook and another foul hooker coming off.

IF ONLY I HAD STAYED ON THE SILVERS I WOULD HAVE DEFINITELY PICKED UP SECOND SILVERS COIN – BUGGER.

Lesson learnt. I did learn a lot from fishing for the Ronnie’s but it would be impossible to win the Silvers with them unless the Skimmers switch off – which they do.

My lonely Carp weighed 7lb 13oz and my Ronnie’s 16lb 14oz just 1lb 11oz from coin.

The match was won by Jamie Compton (pictured right with some of his better Carp) with 116lb 2oz from peg 2. Jamie caught on bunches of maggot fished over potted Ringers margin GB fished just over half way to peg 1.

The Silvers was won by Dean Malin (pictured right with his catch of decent Skimmers) with 34lb 13oz from peg 44. Dean left his method feeder on the bank fishing instead the pole at 13 metres. Dean caught his Skimmers on bunches of dead maggot fished over small balls of GB laced with maggot.

Full Result:

  1. Jamie Compton 116-02-0 peg 2
  2. Anton Page 106-07-0 peg 27
  3. Steve Candler 78-09-0 peg 27
  4. Dean Malin  66-02-0 peg 44
  5. Jason Robinson 63-14-0 peg 15
  6. Dave Young 60-12-0 peg 12
  7. Bela Bakos 49-09-0 peg 4
Top Silvers:

  1. Dean Malin 34-13-0 peg 44
  2. Dave Young 18-08-0 peg 12
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: