Monday 7 July 2014

Sunday 06/07/2014 - Avon Angling Float Only - Round Four - Landsend Fishery - Specimen, Match and John's Water

After a week of having the builders in (“Ten Thou” pictured right aka Paul Haines working on my garage roof) I didn’t have any time to prepare for the match and I certainly didn’t have my head in gear either and I still had a nagging cough brought back from the Airplane from Spain. My paste pellets also had cement dust in them. With another bright sunny day promised I lashed on the sun cream, however, the peg I came draw was in the shade all day and I really needed a fleece instead.

Another busy cafĂ© at Shipham it was also long wait for the draw. I had no pre-thoughts on where I wanted to be, but as I had said many times before my favourite Lake is John’s Water – not everyone’s favourite especially Chris Fox!!

Luckily I pull peg 46 on John’s Water. Where I also found an unhappy Chris fox on my favourite peg 41.

Tony pegs it such that everyone has an end of an island (wasted on me) or a corner peg so plenty of room on peg 46 as it’s the longest island. For company on next peg 45 I had Dave Cockayne who challenged me to a “Paste Off” Glenn Bailey who was on opposite peg 66 over heard and joined in, making it a three way tie. The result – no contest really - see weigh sheet!!

Two paste rigs one 0.2 for the margin and the other a 0.3 gram to be fished at 11-o-clock at 9 metres – simple. Whilst preparing my bait some floating casters went in the water close to my feet and within seconds two large Carp were munching them – Umm.

At the start I fed half a pot of hard 4’s on the long line and loose drip fed the margin where I decided to start because of spotting those earlier Carp feeding on my caster. In 8 put- in I had 8 Crucian’s on the paste. I then speared a few small Rudd and Ronnie’s – the bell for leaving the margin alone and trying the long line even though there wasn’t any signs of life or blowing, so it was a surprised when I had three small Carp about 2lb a piece. It then when dead, not even any Silvers pecking the paste – not a good sign. The Lake was fishing hard.

I decided to give the caster a go in the margin so the Ronnie rig was set up which proved to be worth five Perch for 2oz!

I decided to stay on the paste in the margin comfortably fishing my top set for the last four hours lose feeding soaked 4’s plus kindering in additional feed with the paste. This peg has a great LH margin with a steep slope for the paste to roll down with the feed. The upshot was I would catch two decent Carp to 10lb then another two after a 30 minute or so wait during which I added another nine decent Carp.

I thought I might have 8lb of Crucian’s but was surprised they only went 5lb 15oz these fish really fight above their weight. My twelve Carp weighed 69lb 9oz for a section second weight of 75lb 14oz – happy with this considering the Lake didn’t fish that well.

The match was won by Paul Elmes (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 155lb 10oz from peg 27. Paul fish 16/17 metres to the opposite island with paste hook bait.

The Silvers was won by Paul Faiers with 32lb from peg 31. Paul switched from the non productive CW&C to soft pellet over GB to get the Skimmers feeding.

Full Result:

  1. Paul Elmes 155-10-0 peg 27
  2. Shaun Townsend 131-14-0 peg 9
  3. Martin Rayett 123-10-0 peg 38
  4. Tom Mangnall 99-13-0 peg 33
  5. Bob Gullick 98-07-0 peg 50
  6. Neil Mercer 95-11-0 peg 36
Top Silvers:

  1. Paul Faiers 32-0-0 peg 32
  2. Neil Mercer 30-0-0 peg 36

No comments: