Friday 20 June 2014

Thursday 19/06/2014 - Viaduct Cost Cutter - Campbell and Carey Lakes

All of us holiday makers back for the cost cutter which is still proving popular, with Campbell and Carey in the draw I was hoping for Carey to have a go with caster for the Silvers. However, I pulled peg 125 which Ron Hardiman fished the day before and really struggled.

It was 20 degrees by 8 o clock and was only going to get hotter; peg 125 would only offer the burning sun until 30 minutes to go. I set the pole length so I could ship back without going over or through the Otter fencing, which was 9 metres.

Two paste floats this time because it’s deeper at this end of the Lake I chose 0.3 gram paste floats one for the margin which had enough line above the float so I could use it out in front as back up.

I started by feeding a whole pot of 4’s our in front and one pint of casters in to the margin. I later topped this up with another pint but failed to feed off the Ronnie’s. So it was the paste out in front which was used for most of the day.

If I let the pole sit behind me more a minute I would burn my hands shipping out.

The paste I use differs from that used by Glenn Bailey; I use a dryer harder mix which I can adjust in size from 10 mm to 25 mm. And unlike Glenn I shot my floats. This enables the paste to get to the bottom quicker and has less upward force on the paste which aids lifting and dropping. I can also switch types of baits if necessary typically Dendrabena works well from time to time.

As usual I was soon landing a 10lb Carp. For the next hour I caught Skimmers and Tench this meant adjusting down the size of paste. I thought I was on for a decent Silvers weight when the Carp arrived. Over the rest of the match I caught 13 more decent Carp losing a three foul hookers and one I pulled a bit too hard on letting it go free.

My Silvers weighed 18lb 4oz and my 14 Carp 96lb 12oz for a total of 115lb for eighth place.

Some interesting details arising from the match. I was opposite Tim Ford who was on peg 116. It’s often that Campbell Lake will fish similarly across the Lake. Now Tim’s and my weights were similar the exception being Tim had more Silver fish and smaller Carp, whereas I had less Silvers and bigger Carp. Now this is due to the way we fish with Tim preferring hard banded pellet to my paste. I think the more Silvers are due to the pellet sitting on top the silt more so than paste, which tends to sink further in to the silt. It was also interesting that both Glenn and I had similar weight of both Skimmers and Carp even though we fish the paste slightly differently.

The match was won by Mark Wynne (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 186lb 15oz from peg 130. Mark caught stalking with 10mm banded pellet at 14.5 metres taking most of his catch in the first four hours struggling for four more fish in the remaining two hours.

The Silvers was won by Ian Parsons with 34lb 4oz from peg 119. Ian caught mainly “Accidental” Tench at 7 metres down his RH margin using hard banded pellet whilst trying to catch Carp!

Phil Cardwell did well off peg 123 - but it was rested the day before!!

Well this was the end of our match fishing for the week which the weather, company, accommodation, our host, food, drink and fishing were exceptional. Less said the better about England’s poor performance against Uruguay in the World Cup. We have all booked in again for next year. Just to say how similar the shirt arm logo is to Preston Innovation’s.

 Full Result:

  1. Mark Wynne 186-15-0 peg 130
  2. Steve Long 157-08-0 peg 110
  3. Scott Russell 140-05-0 peg 115
  4. Kevin Dicks 135-01-0 peg 118
  5. Phil Cardwell 121-01-0 peg 123
  6. Ian Parsons 117-04-0 peg 119
Top Silvers:

  1. Ian Parsons 34-04-0 peg 119
  2. Tim Ford 33-01-0 peg 116
Weigh Sheets:






No comments: