Monday 12 May 2014

Sunday 11/05/2014 - Ivy House Open - Match Lake

The wind was horrendous on Saturday which continued all through the night and forecast to blow all through today’s match, which it did. Although not cold the wind spoiled it for many.

Arriving Bela didn’t recognise the fishery due to the hard work Andy Lloyd has put in. After one of Kerens breakfasts it was in to the draw box and out comes peg 3. Bela drew peg 33 which had won the Silvers the day before and was opposite me (pictured right).

Andy had spread the pegs well out with everyone having plenty of space. The wind was going to play a major part in the results today and I was a little disappointed to find that the swim I had drawn is very shallow close in taking five metre to find a sensible margin depth. I then had to go out to 7 metres to find 4 ½ foot for the Silvers. The bloody wind was off my left shoulder blowing in at 8 o clock so would be bouncing the pole around, particular the gusts.

So it was a 4x16 jolly for the Silvers at 7 metres and two paste rigs in and out swims. Both swims were towing against the wind at a rate of knots faster than the Avon at Newbridge!

I started on the paste at 5 metres kindering some micro with a few fours and although I had one liner I didn’t catch anything, I did manage to keep the paste on for a reasonable amount of time against the tow. I tried expander over this line and again I didn’t have a bite I was wondering whether the fish didn’t fancy feeding and swimming against the tow. I hate this sort of gusting wind.

Out on the 7 metre line where the tow was a little less, but not much. The tow is normally stronger in the shallower water due to the inertia cause by the volume of water. Again I repeated the hook baits and feeding method and after an hour I was blanking. I decided to switch to double caster and started to catch the odd Skimmer to 2lb. In the last hour “Carp o Clock” I hooked five Carp losing one to the scaffold pole of the aerator.

My Carp weighed 21lb 8oz and my 10 Skimmers 13lb 14oz for a total of 35lb 6oz. I was a bit disappointed at losing the first hour using the wrong bait as that hour is usually most productive for the Silvers. However, I wasn’t disappointed when Bela picked up second in the Silvers.

The match was won by Stu Foale (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 157lb 8oz from peg 14 where the wind was blasting in to his face. Stu caught the majority of his Carp down his RH margin using a bunch of maggots over maggot feeding about 2 ½ pints.

The Silvers was won by Bob Davis with 16lb 12oz from peg 5. Bob caught Skimmers on pieces of worm fished over potted micro.

I appeared that the anglers with the wind blowing into them caught the most – probably less towing.

Full Result:

  1. Stu Foales 157-08-0 peg 14
  2. Chris Davis 87-08-0 peg 21
  3. Joe Thompson 85-14-0 peg 7
  4. Mick Gale 83-05-0 peg 39
  5. J Bohane 69-05-0 peg 37
  6. Sam Nobbs 66-04-0 peg 19
Top Silvers:

  1. Bob Davis 16-12-0 peg 5
  2. Bela Bakos 15-08-0 peg 33
  3. Red 15-07-0 peg 45
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: