Sunday 4 May 2014

Sunday 04/05/2014 - KP Series - Round Four - Acorn Fishery - Paddocks

Bela and I went out for beer yesterday afternoon and at 4:45 it was sad (or in Bela case hilarious) to see a 6 foot 4 inch grown man cry when it was confirmed that Bristol Rovers were relegated out of the football league in to the Conference. I could go on about this sad day, but will limit my frustration to the Rovers management not hiring Ian Holloway as manager when he was available (the Ian that has just done the Houdini act for Millwall FC).

I travelled again with Glenn Bailey with today being a free half way league draw. In to the container and out comes peg 7 in B section. Happy with this as I did had some room to my left because peg 8 isn’t in the league, plus the peg was second on the previous match.

I set up four rigs: A 4x16 Jolly to fish at 5 metres with semi-hard 4’s (hard 4 soaked for 10 minutes then drained). I now prefer this pellet over expander because it has a higher density which the fish seems to take more confidently – for now anyway. I followed this up with a 0.5 gram Silverfox PC paste float to fish over the same 5 metre line with paste. Two margin rigs – a 4x12 Jolly for the caster in the LH margin and a 0.2 gram Silverfox PC paste float for the RH margin – job done.

I started by feeding all three lines, starting on the half hard 4. I caught small Skimmers straight off losing a decent flyer. After catching 3lb 7oz of Silvers I had a couple of Carp. So time to switch to the paste over the same line adding another four before I kindered the Carp up in the water. The Carp were more patient than me and would not go down, but instead waiting for the next morsel from my kinder two feet off bottom.

We were all then interrupted by the EA bailiffs wanting see register our licences. I had been loose feeding hard 4’s down the RH side for the paste. I thought this a banker, but no, I didn’t have a bite!

I had been loose feeding casters down the LH margin at 5 metres (wind assisted). So with single caster on the hook I started to catch some decent Carp, until I started to foul hook them. With hour and a half of the match remaining I switched to the paste rig over the caster and didn’t look back catching Carp to 12lb. One eight pounder of note; during playing it I noticed what I thought was a bead of water on the elastic, after shaking the elastic I realised that the elastic was hanging on by a thread. So I pulled hard and quickly tied a tight loop over the damaged area (see picture right) – quick thinking or what – or bloody lucky again.

I finished the match with 18 decent Carp for 91lb 10oz giving a total of 95lb 1oz for first overall and 10 points.

The Silvers was won by half the organising duo Chris Fox (pictured right with the match winner) with 13lb 6oz from peg 17. Chris caught short using double maggot over lose fed maggot – see Chris’s bog for the finite details.

Full Result:

  1. Mike Nicholls 95-01-0 peg 7
  2. Russ Peck 87-15-0 peg 12
  3. Tom Thick 81-15-0 peg 33
  4. Brian Slipper 69-08-0 peg 9
  5. Mark Broomsgrove 54-14-0 peg 36
  6. Kev Perry 53-05-0 peg 10
Top Silvers:

  1. Chris Fox 13-06-0 peg 17
  2. Charlie Barns 10-09-0 peg 30
  3. Lance Tucker 10-04-0 peg 25
  4. Glenn Calvert 10-04-0 peg 38
Weigh Sheets:

























No comments: