Sunday 6 April 2014

Sunday 06/04/2014 - KP Pole Only Series - Round One - Acorn Fishery - Paddocks

With Bela still into his DIY I teamed up with Glenn Bailey for the KP Acorn League which started today, which is to be fished on Paddocks. With 30 booked in there wasn’t going to be much elbow room. On the way down the talk was about how poor the venue has been fishing with both of us wondering whether we had done the right thing fishing the league. That said there was very little else on that will attract a field of 30 anglers where Silver fish count. I said to Glenn that out of the 35 or so times I have fished Acorn I had yet to draw a bridge peg which would be ideal today.

After breakfast and parting with a week’s pension we had a walk around the venue. There wasn’t much sign of fish with the wind blowing strong but steady up the lake – prevailing winds. It was time for the draw and out comes peg 40 yippee a Bridge peg at last and hopefully a “Gullick” run on them to follow.

I set up a 4x16 Jolly to be fished 5 metres to my left at full depth down the inside with maggot over GB laced with maggot and casters. After leaving it for an hour I half heartily tired it but didn’t have a bite but didn’t give it long because the tow was quite hard towing the float away at a rate of knots

I set up another 4x16 Jolly to be fish full depth with 3mm expander over micro at 5 metres along the bridge. I started on this and after kindering a few micros I lost a foul hooked a Carp 12 inches from the surface. I couldn’t get a bite at full depth just liners from fish high up in the water. I tried the shallow 4x12 jolly I had set up for the LH margin for caster with a 3mm expander and had another foul hooked Carp. The wind was so strong that it was buffering against the bridge making presentation very difficult so I abandon this line as I was only going to get frustrated.

Before the match after I had plumbed up the LH margin I put a stone on the bridge to mark the position for feeding (pictured right). I did this because the margin is continually running off to full depth making it otherwise easy to feed either too high up or too low down in the margin. It was time to try the 4x12 caster rig in the margin and with a single caster fished over a smidgen of loose fed caster. I soon had two Perch in the net followed by a 2lb Tench followed by a couple of small Carp. I then started to get liners from fish up in the water which lead to more foul hooking. I tried all depths but the Carp wouldn’t take stationery hook bait. I continued to get frustrated with the liners.

It was time to try my 0.3 gram Silverfox PC paste float. First put in I had another Tench and two F1’s. I decided to stick with the paste to the end of the match adding another 3lb Tench and 12 small Carp.

My Silvers weighed 10lb 10oz for second in the Silvers and my Carp 22lb 14oz for a total of 33lb 8oz for a section second and sixth overall.

I came to the conclusion that there are still plenty of Carp in the venue but they seem at the moment only willing to take micro falling through the first two foot of water. Something for me to bear in mind for the next match.

The match was won by Andy France (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 43lb 8oz from peg 25. Andy caught on expander pellet fished over tossed micro and 4’s to the far bank fishing 2 foot deep.

The Silvers was won by Andy Gard with 14lb 8oz from peg 33. Andy caught on either maggot or caster fished up to his bridge fished over GB.

Full Result:

  1. Andy France 43-08-0 peg 25
  2. Bob Gullick 41-15-0 peg 34
  3. Mark Bartlett 39-02-0 peg 18
  4. Louis Jones 38-07-0 peg 23
  5. Kev Perry 38-0-0 peg 21
  6. Mike Nicholls 33-08-0 peg 40
Top Silvers:

  1. Andy Gard 14-08-0 peg 33
  2. Mike Nicholls 10-10-0 peg 40
  3. Paul Faiers  10-02-0- peg 28
Weigh Sheets:






No comments: