Thursday 20 February 2014

Thursday 20/02/2014 - Bathampton AA/ Veals Silvers Championship - Round Four - Bridge Pool

For the sake of my blog (diary) and history I needed to record some aspects of yesterdays Tony Rixon’s abandoned match, which I guess from discussion at today’s match is becoming widely expressed. I must say if it wasn’t for Harry Muir’s quick response that day events would have been far worse. John Bradford, Ken Rayner and Phil Harding also stood up mark with John suffering some bad bites. Ron Hardiman sacrificed his pole butt section protecting Harry Muir as he escaped the garden. However, for me young 11 year old Josh was the hero who didn't even cry throughout his ordeal. Apparently he is doing well and having plastic surgery today at Frenchay hospital. Harry is keeping in touch with Josh’s Mum on progress. Get well soon Josh, hope we meet again on the bank under better circumstances.  An event which will be forever etched on my memory and I guess everyone there. In future I will certainly be taking extreme caution when out with my grandchildren if dogs approach.

On a very much lighter note Tony Rixon asked if I would add Martin Lenaghan’s picture to my blog (Copy right Mr Rixon) which was taken at last Wednesday match at Ivy House Lake, although Tony added the picture to his Facebook, he couldn't up load it to his blog. So pictured right is Martin after his belly flop. If anyone is looking for a “bog monster” for next years pantomime – look no further!! Martin is a good sport; if he carry’s on like this it won’t be many more years before he becomes an honorary Bristolian! Martin also played his part yesterday with some in valuable first aid.

If today’s match wasn‘t a league I think I would have given it miss as I didn’t sleep that well. Mike Jones did the draw for the last 16 in the knock out and I drew John Fry who was on peg 10 and with peg 9 currently not available he was going to be hard to beat.

My pair’s partner asked me what the plan was for today. I said not to draw in my section, and what does Chris Rolfe do is exactly that drawing peg 4 dead opposite me!

In to the draw bag an out comes peg 32 which has been the worse peg on the Lake for sometime. I set up the one rig a 4x16 Jolly to be fishes at 10 metres. I did also set up the GB feeder, but as usual if it didn’t go round during the time I had a thimble full of coffee it went up the bank. The upshot was I had 70 or so tiny Ronnie’s for 3lb 9oz. It did get me through the knockout but didn’t save me from a battering both sides. Mike Jones fished an impressive tidy match next to me fishing his to hand elasticated whip.

The match was won by Dave Poole (pictured right with the Accidental Carp winner) with 12lb 12oz from peg 24. Dave caught on soft pellet over micro at 11.5 metres catching Skimmers steady throughout the second half of the match.

Full Result:

  1. Dave Poole 12-12-0 peg 24
  2. Mike Jones 12-01-0 peg 31
  3. Paul Dicks 11-08-0 peg 14
  4. Dave Wride 8-09-0 peg 9
  5. Ade Crawley 7-14-0 peg 33
  6. Mike Taylor 7-02-0 peg 27
Accidental Carp:

  1. Bob Price 19-15-0 peg 15
  2. Mike Key 8-06-0 peg  28
Weigh Sheets:



















No comments: