Sunday 9 February 2014

Sunday 09/02/2014 - Westerleigh Winter League - Round Five - Both Lakes

Mr. Organiser - Bryan Shanks decided enough was enough with the bad pegs and took a vote on leaving out pegs 18 and 35 (I have drawn both). The decision was four against and seven for. I thought due to the conditions plus a few no shows it would be an injustice for an angler to fish either of these pegs with much better pegs empty.

Darren North was a bit perplexed when Bryan first announced that he was proposing taking out the bad pegs, in reply said “Are we all going home then”!

Bela was 47 years old today, so we gave him Silvers peg flyer peg 10, he didn’t lets us down coming 5th overall. With 18 not in the draw my drawitus disappeared! However, I got as close as you can get to this, drawing peg 14!

Peg 14 has done well in the series so far with a last, first and second overall with three or four Carp, with little to no Silvers. So after wading through the slushy mud and pushing off the water from my platform I decided to fish two swims with identical rigs 4x12 Jolly’s one on a number 4 hollow elastic and the other on a Middy blue bungee. Both at 10 metres as the wind and rain was bloody awful limiting us weaklings plus float visibility was really bad. The heavier elastic was to be fished over wetted micro and a few dead reds at 2 o clock (Carp) and the lighter elastic at 10 o clock with GB laced with Pinkie (Silvers).

Having fed both lines I started over the GB with dead red and had a run of small Ronnie’s. I then had a 2lb Tench followed later by a 2lb Skimmer. I was keeping a bit of GB laced with Pinkie going in through the kinder pot that was until the wind blew my GB in the Lake.  I couldn’t be assed to mix up any more which was a mistake was relying instead on loose fed Pinkie. However, the next fish was a 4lb 8oz Carp! As can be expected I had a lean spell after this and it wasn’t until I finally succumbed to mixing up so more GB which jumped started the swim catching some small Skimmers and Ronnie’s.

Although I kept trying the Carp line with soft 3mm pellet and double dead red I only had the one bite – a minute Ronnie which fell off.

I finished the match with the one Carp and 6lb 1oz of Slivers for a Lake win and second overall with 10lb 9oz and an overall Silvers win.

The Match was won by Simon Belcham (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 14lb 6oz of Carp and F1’s from peg 24. Simon caught 1 metre off the far bank with potted Pinkie and red maggot with a combo of either on the hook.

What ever you do don’t let Simon have more that ½ a pint of bitter ale otherwise he starts talking some strange language!

Full Result:

  1. Simon Belcham  14-06-0 peg 24
  2. Mike Nicholls 10-09-0 peg 14
  3. Dave (Dodgy) Downton 6-10-0 peg 8
  4. Bill Ferris 6-03-0 peg 5
  5. Bela Bakos 4-08-0 peg 10
  6. Martin McMahon 4-07-0 peg 30
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 6-01-0 peg 14
  2. Martin McMahon 4-07-0 peg 30
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: