Sunday 24 November 2013

Sunday 24/11/2013 - Westerleigh Winter League - Round One - Old Lake and Canal

Bela talked me out of fishing the Landsend league in favour of the Westerleigh Winter League. It didn’t take much convincing even though it has been fish badly, because I do enjoy this type of fishing. The series is being run by Brian Shanks. The series is based on each angler fishing both Lakes three times. So after the first draw you stay with the same section anglers all through. However, today there were three anglers missing the first match.
 
Breakfast was laid on in the New Inn which would have been tip top had it been a bit warmer. However, Bela was happy with his as he likes it colder because he can eat it quicker!
 
In to the draw bag and out comes peg 3 on the Old Lake. I was happy with this although there were leaves all over the Lake (as pictured right). I was wonder where they would end up; I should have known they would find their way to Bela on peg 14. He had a nightmare match because if this, but not one moan.
 
I had made up three rigs last night; a 4x10 and two–4x12 Jolly’s all with 0.12 hook lengths and 20 808 hooks. These were set up with the 4x10 for two foot of water down to the Left under a bit of a tree. This rig produced nothing even though I tries caste, maggot and finally pinkie, which was half expected as the colour of the water was extremely clear. The first of the 4x12 was to be fished at 6 metres where I had 4 foot of water with Pinkie over GB laced with Pinkie, again this produced nothing, and again I think due to the water clarity. Finally the last 4x12 was to be fished as long as I could which was a much improved 11.5 metres where I fed pinkies with a dash of wetted micro and fish big dead red over the top. It wasn’t until I wasted time (it was a five hour match) over the GB that I tried the long line and had five quick Ronnie’s before I hooked a big Carp estimated at 6 to 8 pounds which broke me – bugger. I then spent a while changing my hook lengths to 0.14 my usual line – double bugger.
 
The up shot was that I kept a few Ronnie’s coming gradually increasing the kindered feed as the match progressed. I kept trying a 3mm expander but I don’t think I gave it lo g enough favouring bites from the Ronnie’s – too impatient me thinks. With 45 minutes left I had a run of better fish (relatively speaking) with a 1lb Tench a 1lb 6oz Carp and a 1lb Skimmer. The rest of the match was spent winkling out a few more Ronnie’s.
 
My Silvers weighed 5lb 10oz which would have picked up the Silvers by default had one more angler fished our Lake – another bugger. My total weight of 7lb put me fourth in the section and 5th overall.
 
I must say I enjoyed the fishing which I think will improve as the league progresses. I was home at 5 o clock even though I had a couple of pints in the pub where the results were held. I don’t think there weren’t any moans.
 
Our lake and match winner was Darren North (pictured right) with 18lb 8oz from peg 6. Darren caught on soft pellet over micro down to his right at 9 metes fishing about two metres out from the bank. Well done matey.
 
The Silvers was won by Vince Shipp with 6lb 15oz from peg 5. Vince caught his fish at 13 meters using dead reds over kindered pinkie.
 
Full Result:
 
  1. Darren North 18-08-0 peg 6
  2. Phil Harding 17-07-0 peg 23
  3. Steve Rodgers 9-04-0 peg 9
  4. Vince Shipp 8-15-0 peg 5
  5. Mike Nicholls 7-0-0 peg 3
  6. Stu Foales 6-12-0 peg 30
Top Silvers:
 
  1. Vince Shipp  6-15-0 peg 5
  2. Stu Foales 6-12-0 peg 30
  3. Mike Nicholls 5-10-0 peg 3
Weigh Sheets:
 
 

No comments: