Monday 25 November 2013

Monday 25/11/2013 - Bob Price Monday Open - Bitterwell Lake

First match ever for me on a Monday, which is Bob Price’s open at Bitterwell. The usual suspects were in attendance, plus a few newbie’s, which had Bob a bit worried about the pegging. Luckily not all the regulars turned up so Bob had 15 paid up then delegated the pegging to Steve D and Gary E – nothing changes. What’s good about these matches is the cost with the peg fee at £5 with £5 pools, so a cheap days fishing.
 
In to the draw box and out comes peg 15 on the “diving board”. This peg is one of the deepest because it had to be with diving boards there!! I set the usual 4x14 jolly to be fished at 11.5 metres which was my limit today not only because of my limitations but also because of the bloody bushes behind, much too thick to push the pole through. I also set up a 4x12 for the LH margin where I found 3 foot up to the reeds, which I was hoping would account for some Perch and perhaps a late Carp nearer the end. None of this happen so no more on this.
 
I started by feeding the 11.5 metre line with a golf ball sizes GB laced with Pinkies. I was soon getting some tugs on a big dead red which finally materialised in to a small Ronnie. After four small fish I put a wind not in my hook length which was so close the hook it created a “stand off” so I had to change it. After three hours of catching and releasing some Ronnie’s I hooked a Carp which I soon lost for some reason. After inspecting the hook length I realised I had put on a 0.1 instead of 0.14 – bugger. Back to catching small fish until I did put a 1lb Skimmer in the net. It was bloody hard work catching these small fish at 11.5 metres. My net of Silvers went 5lb 1oz. Because the water had gone extremely clear, those that fished the waggler all caught more Silvers than me.
 
There were a few blanks and DNW's especially the far end of the Lake.
 
The match was won by Bob Price (pictured right with his catch) with basically two Carp for 14lb14oz from peg 13. Bob caught on his usual popped up bread out to the aerator.
 
The Silvers was won by Steve Dawson (pictured lower right with the match winner) with 9lb 11oz of Ronnie’s all caught on the waggler with pinkie hook bait fished over loose fed Pinkie.
 
Full Result:
 
  1. Bob Price 14-14-0 peg 13
  2. Jack 10-02-08 peg 12
  3. Steve Dawson 9-11-0 peg 3
  4. Andy Gard 8-0-0 peg 1
  5. John Clark 8-0-0  peg 11
  6. Terry Church 6-09-0 peg 4
Top Silvers:
 
  1. Steve Dawson 9-11-0 peg 3
  2. Andy Gard 8-0-0 peg 1
  3. Gary Etheridge 6-07-0 peg 11
  4. Mike Nicholls 5-01-0 peg 15
Weigh Sheet:
 
 

No comments: