Thursday 31 October 2013

Wednesday 31/10/2013 - Avon Angling Open - Landsend Fishery

Well they say trouble comes in three’s. First I fall in from peg 126 at Viaduct (to many anglers amusement), next I cut my head on a kitchen cupboard. And finally (hopefully) whilst  walking the River Avon last Sunday I got bit by a dog tearing my jeans and leaving a couple of teeth marks in the back of my leg.
 
The weather has certainly turned to autumn with a near miss frost this morning. Arriving at the fishery early I walked around Match Lake and I thought it looked a bit dour with some of the colour falling out. My hopes weren’t high. Whilst dipping our nets Chris Davis said that Bitterwell lakes are due to open this Monday, so I might have a look see.
 
In to the draw tin and out comes peg 11, the same peg as my last visit. I was reasonably happy with this as you have both Silvers and Carp to go at.
 
I set up a Silvers rig a 4x16 Jolly to be fished at 7 metres at 1 o clock and a corn rig for down to peg 12 platform (only 7 metres to the edge of this platform). I decided to fish 3mm expander over a few wetted micros over the Silvers line. Within 30 minutes I had two carp and a beautiful 2lb Golden Tench (pictured right) which was in pristine condition. Although I was getting a bit of blow over the feed I just couldn’t get a bite, albeit some liners. I tried corn, worm with no result. Time to try the margin swim at platform 12. This resulted in two quick Carp, which proved to be a false dawn. I tried allsorts of baits including paste and with one hour to go I was close to a DNW but had a walk first and our entire bank was struggling. So with Carp o clock looming I decided to stay and bag up. Carp o Clock took and age to end which resulted in just a few liners.
 
My Tench weighed 2lb 1oz and my four small Carp (a mix of Ghost, Common and Mirrors) weighed 14lb 8oz for a total of 16lb 9oz.
 
The match was won by Adrian Clark (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 54lb 4oz from peg 19. Adrian caught on lassoed 6mm hard pellet fished over minimal micro over to the island.
 
The Silvers was won by Nigel Bartlett with 18lb 10oz from peg 13. Nigel had three swim going catching the lion’s share from his end bank margin. Nigel fished caster, maggot and worm over potted caster.
 
On hindsight: I should have fished caster down to platform 12 where I would have at least had a days fishing. I actually had a pint with me – bugger. The problem was I still had the previous match experience blinding me from the obvious seasonal changes that fisheries are going through.
 
Full Result:
 
  1. Adrian Clark 54-14-0 peg 19
  2. Martin McMahon 52-07-0 peg 3
  3. Keith 48-10-0 peg 15
  4. Ron Hardiman 47-04-0 peg 20
  5. Tony Rixon 40-08-0 peg 1
  6. Jamie Dyte 33-12-0 peg 17
Top Silvers:
 
  1. Nigel Bartlett 18-10-0 peg 13
  2. Chris Davis 15-10-0 peg 9
Weigh Sheet:
 
 

No comments: