Wednesday 23 October 2013

Wednesday 23/10/2013 - Avon Angling Open - Acorn Fishery

Bryan Shanks is running Winter League at the Westerleigh Fishery with pegs limited to 20 best get booked in early to avoid disappointment. It’s the usual six match series with everyone fishing the two Lakes three times. More details from Bryan on 07971861430.
 
Chatting today with the Acorn Fishery owner and it was obvious that he is becoming increasingly annoyed with anglers discarding fishing line which is becoming entangled in his strange looking Chickens and Peacock legs. You have been warned, as he said there are plenty of bins around the fishery.
 
At last back to a decent draw time 09:00. Tony Rixon decided to throw the pegs on to the café table top and one flew off on to my foot. Opening I found peg 9 a flyer by name and a flyer by nature! For company I had the Gimp on peg 7 and Fabio on peg 11 and a host of Chickens and Peacocks which appear to love casters.
 
I set up two paste rigs one for the down wind LH margin and the other for 5 metres at 10-o clock. A few Ronnie’s have been coming out recently so I set the Ronnie rig up and a 4x16 jolly again for the 5 metre line. Blimey that’s four rigs must be unsure of myself.
 
On the whistle I fed a few casters down the LH edge followed by a pot of 50/50 mix of caster and hard 4’s on the 5 metre line. First cast with the Ronnie rig with single caster I hooked and netted a 6lb Common Carp – not what I was expecting. I followed this very quickly for four more. I then had my expected quarry a Ronnie, three F1’s and a Tench. Next fish was a neat 4lb Tench which I lost at the net. This brought back memories of last Sundays match. That was it for the Silvers as I started to catch Carp again. At mid match it went a bit quite in the margin I think to do as much with the bright sun light as much as anything else. So the turn of the 5 metre line with double caster hook bait which resulted in three Carp but I was getting too many liners and foul hookers because the Carp would not follow the feed down. I found this frustrating so tried the paste over the 5 metre line which accounted for one more carp and again plenty of liners. Back in the margin with the Ronnie rig and a few more quick Carp. The water was also a bit clear which I think would spook the Carp hence catching quick, quick, slow. In to the last hour I decided to switch to paste in the margin fished over hard 4’s this produce another six Carp before the triple call for all out. I fed one pint of casters and half a pint of hard 4's.
 
My Silvers weighed 6lb and my 25 Carp 94lb 5oz for a match winning 100lb 5oz.
 
The Silvers was won by Ziggy (pictured right with the match winner) with 20lb from peg 28. After a lot of translation I deducted that Ziggy caught on pieces of worm hook bait fished over GB containing some caster and chopped worm fed through a Kinder pot.
 
Full Result:
 
  1. Mike Nicholls 100-05-0 peg 9
  2. Matt Tomes 97-08-0 peg 22
  3. Harry Muir 92-01-0 peg 25
  4. Tony Rixon 85-05-0 peg 36
  5. Adrian Clark 69-12-0 peg 33
  6. Phil Harding 58-08-0 peg 11
 Top Silvers:
 
  1. Ziggy Slowinski 20-0-0 peg 28
  2. Phil Harding 18-04-0 peg 11
  3. Clive Feddery 14-0-0 peg 34
 Weigh Sheet:
 
 

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Well done Mike, sounds like you had a lovely day :)