Thursday 17 October 2013

Wednesday 16/10/2013 - Amalgamtion Summer League - Rund 8 - The Fish Off - Tockenham Reservior

This league is run a little bit like the Rugby Union leagues in that the top teams play off to decide who gets promoted. So today the top ten in the league (final league table pictured right) were to fish off for the purse. Both Barry Fitchew and I were joint top point scorers over the seven matches (not sure where we were on weight count back). A couple of years ago Bath RFC won their division but failed to get promoted failing in the play-offs. Barry and I now know what that feels like. That said you enter these competitions knowingly and have to accept the outcome.
 
So the last match greeted us with yet more rain which promised to be clear by mid afternoon, which is was. In to the draw bag and out comes peg 31. This peg is in “The Woods” and as you would expect the peg is under trees. This peg however is out on a gang plank in the middle off very tall Sedges both sides with no elbow room. Gentleman Dave Bacon was next left to me on peg 30. Dave had also had tall sedges down his Left side which went out some 30 metres. Dave’s peg was also looking at 2 o clock in my direction which meant if he fished the feeder (which he did) he would need to cast out in front of me past my peg. These things are annoying especially as there is so many available pegs available including peg 32 which would have negating these issues. But because I was in a bit of a parrots cage (which 32 isn’t) the feeder was not my first choose. That said I know Dave and I would have gladly share the same feeder swim. Looking at the swim I thought there could be a few Carp about so I set up a margin rig to fish worm/corn. But having plumbed up I found I had 7 foot at 4 metres taking me to the edge of the Sedges. I suddenly didn’t fancy it for Carp as it would have meant playing them on the top four with the pull a bung inaccessible. I then set up a 4x18 jolly to be fished at 6 metres where I had 11 foot of water. The swim was in a bit of a bay and was sheltered from the wind. The plan was to fish double caster over tight golf ball size laced with the same.
 
On the whistle I fed 4 golf balls and started to catch Ronnie’s from 3oz to 12oz. After each small Ronnie I would put another golf ball in. And that is how my match went. It did get me thinking Hemp and Tares (next time perhaps). I did lose the fish for awhile probably due to maundering Carp. At about 15:00 the rain stopped and the wind picked up veering more into my peg causing a few difficulties. The Sedges were being blown across my peg right in front of me and I was being bombarded by Acorns. They bloody hurt if the hit you on the head, so I had to keep my hoods up for protection. I at first thought it was Dave feeding 30 mm pellets!! Near the end the Skimmers started to show but a tad too late to make any difference. My Ronnie’s weighed 20lb 8oz.
 
I must say I thoroughly enjoyed today, but Andy needs to sort of his pegging on this venue, especially at the dam wall end as there were only three fishing there leaving four good empty pegs.
 
The match was won by Gentleman Dave Bacon (pictured right with his Teddy boy hair cut) with 42lb 8oz from peg 30. Dave caught on the feeder at 30 metres using Marukuy 131 GB with worm and caster. Dave caught Skimmers to 3 lb.
 
Runner up was Dave Poole (pictured lower right with his catch) from Dam wall end peg 40, Dave also caught on the feeder.
 
Bill Ferris was next also on the Dam and interestingly enough his Silvers catch included 20lb of margin Perch whilst fishing for Carp!
 
Andy is running the league again next year with nine matches - four at Tockenham, four at Sabre and only one at Pawlett. I did enjoy the league as the venues are not out and out commercial type fisheries infested by Carp making a change.
 
 
Full Result:
 
  1. Dave Bacon 42-08-0 peg 30
  2. Dave Poole 36-0-0 peg 40
  3. Bill Ferris 33-13-0 peg 35
  4. Bob Black 31-10-0 peg 26
  5. John Osborne 25-15-0 peg 33
  6. Doug Sutton 23-0-0 peg 36
 
Top Silvers;
 
  1. Dave Bacon 42-08-0 peg 30
  2. Dave Poole 36-0-0 peg 40
  3. Doug Sutton 23-0-0 peg 36
 
Weight Sheets:
 
 

No comments: