Wednesday 2 October 2013

Wednesday 02/10/2013 - Amalgamation Summer League - Round Seven - Sabre Lake

Colin Golding was at the match today and explained how he was burgled at night whilst in bed. The thief took his fishing box and some rods plus his car. Colin didn’t realise until lunch time when he couldn’t find his car keys and by evening the thief was spotted on camera driving Colin’s car and was arrested. Colin got all his gear back except the aluminium legs off his tackle box as the thief thought it was the only thing of value and sold them for scrap! The low life got 3 years.
 
So after a delayed match of an hour it was into the draw bag and out comes peg 14. It has some Carp history most of it being based on lost and tackle broken as can be seen from the close proximity to the Sedges.
 
After plumbing up I found 9 foot at 9 metres so that would do for the 4x16 Jolly and 4 ½ foot at 4 metres which would do for the Ronnie rig. I then made up a paste rig with 0.22 G-line straight through for fishing in the Sedges.
 
On the whilst I potted a ball of GB laced with dead maggot on the 9 metre line and the same at 4 metres plus a big pot of micro in the RH margin. Starting on the long line with single dead red I caught small Ronnie’s one a bung on the drop. This lasted about half hour. After re-feeding this line I came in on the 4 metre line. Not to go back out long again because I caught a lot quicker plus some 6 – 8 oz Skimmers by regularly feeding walnut size ball of GB laced with maggot. I then hooked a Carp, and luck was on my side as it was worse for wear and came to the net easily. It had bulging eyes and a deformed body. I named it Marty Feldman. I couldn’t tell the species of Carp, but is weighed 6lb. I kept going on the Silvers until two hours to go when I thought I would try and break my top set in the margin where I had been loose feeding with hard 4’s. First put in with paste hook bait I foul hooked a Carp and yep I broke another number two on my top set with the Carp well gone leaving me fighting the Sedges, plus I lost a complete rig. So I re-set up and again and foul hooked yet another Carp, but luckily it swam out only for the hook to pull. After losing another Carp on yet another foul hooker I switch to worm over caster and hooked and landed another three 6lb Carp, beautiful Commons. I then had a 2lb Tench taking my fish species to nine (excluding Marty)!
 
My Silvers weighed 14lb 4oz and my four Carp 25lb 2oz for a total of 39lb6oz which put first overall and third in the Silvers for a double pick up. I am beginning to like this venue, looking forward to next years series on the venue.
 
The Silvers was won by Mike Jones (pictured right with the match winner) with an excellent weight of 25lb 2oz from peg 2. Mike caught similarly to me except he fished a whip at 6 metres using caster in his GB with caster on the hook. Mike’s catch included some big Skimmers.
 
Full Result:
 
  1. Mike Nicholls 39-06-0 peg 14
  2. Charlie Barnes 33-03-0 peg 13
  3. Dave Bacon 30-12-0 peg 3
  4. Mike Jones 25-02-0 peg 2
  5. Gary Davis 23-09-0 peg 30
  6. Dave Poole 21-09-0 peg 28
 
Top Silvers:
 
  1. Mike Jones 25-02-0 peg 2
  2. Dave Poole 15-01-0 peg 28
  3. Mike Nicholls 14-04-0 peg 14
 
Weigh Sheets:
 
 

No comments: