Monday 21 October 2013

Sunday 20/10/2013 - Viaduct Silvers League - Round Two - Campbell, Carey and Lodge

Travelling again with Bela as he is now back from the Safford Moor festival where he didn’t fair as well as last year, picking up a section second. Local angler Lee Werret did well coming second overall on weight count back.
 
After breakfast in Cannards’ Well it was in to the draw tin and out came peg 126 on Campbell. Rich Coles had drawn it in the all winners silvers final the day before weighing 20lb. However, the Dude had come second off 127 with 54lb of Tench. Chatting to him he had caught early in both margins and after out at 5 metres using caster with a bit of worm in the caster feed. He said he didn’t have any problems with carp hooking jut the two. For company on my left I had another Roofer Gary O’Shea on 127.
 
I decided on three lines one at 10 metres over GB, 5 metres with CW&C and the RH margin with caster over caster. All to be fished with Jolly’s plus my Ronnie rig.
 
On the whistle I fed just one ball of GB at 10 metres and a pot of caster with a bit of chopped worm, chopped corn and chopped maggot. I started in the LH margin as this put the skimming wind off my back with single caster. I had a Ronnie and a 3oz Skimmer straight off before I hooked my first Tench which shed the hook in to my keep net (how do they do this trick). I then hooked and landed a 10 lb Common Carp on 0.1 G-Line! I was surprised to catch a Carp that early in the margin, especially as I hadn’t fed much caster. So I switched to the 5 metre line with double caster and I was soon in to another large Carp which again I landed. Back out and I hook what I thought was another Carp and pulled a bit too hard as too late realised it was a 3lb Tench and pulled the hook – bugger. Out again and I hook another Tench which I played carefully until the species was confirmed. And bugger me I pulled out of it. I followed this by losing a decent Perch. By now I was feeling that I was bagging but only had 5oz in the net!! A storm then came over with thunder, lightening and high winds. I decided to try the GB line with double maggot which by now should have been abandoned by Carp and hopefully leaving a few morsels for the Skimmers. I hadn’t count to ten before I was breaking a hook length an a Carp – amazing. I decided to fill this line in with GB and went to get my cupping set only to find it had blown out of my reach by the Great Storm. I got up to fetch it and fell down the back of the “T” shaped platform landing on my pole and top set shattering both, ending up in the drink. Thankfully Gary O’Shea and Steve Kedge came to my rescue dragging me out. I have had a few near misses on these poorly designed platforms which I think are risky.
 
With two hours to go and having sorted out my self I started fishing again and after going round all three swims a number of times and catching only Carp every time even though I hadn’t fed that much. I was amazed how quick I got bites from them. As far as I am concerned the myth that Carp don’t feed over GB is shattered. I had no answer to the Carp problem so I decided to stay on the Ronnie rig in the margin and providing I kept fishing on the drop with single caster kept a few Ronnie’s coming, plus two bonus big Tench, 2lb Hybrid and a 1lb Perch for a total weight of 13lb 12oz for last but one in the section. Landing five Carp and breaking on fifteen.
 
Bela lost his care for the aged payment from the Special One because he hadn’t returned me in the same condition as she sent me. What Bela don’t realise is that if he had only brought my wet socks back “as evidence” he would have got a bonus!! Today has been a disaster which I have put down to me wearing a new jumper which won't be going fishing again.
 
The down side for me today was Steve Kedge missing out on our section win by 1oz most probably because he spent time helping me out the drink. Thanks and sorry matey.
 

The match was won by Tony Rixon (pictured right with his net of Skimmers) with 40lb 2oz from peg 98 (peg 97 won the Silvers final the day before with 54lb of Skimmers). Steve Long is thinking of changing the “Diagonal” bank to the “Ricko” Bank!! For how he caught which involved single caster over GB see his Blog…Class act.
 
Full Result:
 
  1. Tony Rixon 40-02-0 peg 98
  2. Nick Collins 39-10-0 peg 111
  3. Steve Mayo 37-06-0 peg 71
  4. Mark Brennan 36-02-0 peg 129
  5. Steve Kedge 36-01-0 peg 128
  6. Bob Gullick 35-02-0 peg 78
 
Weigh Sheets:
 
 

2 comments:

Donald said...

Think Viaduct should give Steve one point. But leave the payout alone

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Good idea. I agree. I will mention it to Steve when I see him next.