Sunday 13 October 2013

Sunday 13/10/2013 - Avon Angling Open - Platation Fishery - Horseshoe Lake

With Bela away down on the Stafford Moor Autumn festival, I was on my own today so I had breakfast at home.
 
In to the draw box and out comes peg 19, which was on the inside on the first leg. The peg was under a tree which because it rained all day decided to throw a bucket equivalent of water over me every time the wind blew. Luckily the Gortex did its job as I didn’t bring my umbrella.
 
I had an island opposite at 11.5 metres making it a narrow swim. I also had an assessable (because the sedges had be cut back a bit) margin swim to my left. I plumbed up with a 4x12 Jolly down the middle and found 3 ½ foot of water. This depth was more or less the same where ever I plumbed including over and the margin. I set up a corn rig for the margin.
 
I decided to keep my options open with regards Silvers and Carp because the first time I fished this Lake I won the Silvers from this peg. So I decided to focus down the middle with two swims one out in front with 3mm expanders over micro and another with the identical rig at 10 o clock to fish allsorts over GB. Having fed both lines and loose fed a few hard 4’s in the margin I started on the pellet and caught a common straight away. I had a good start putting six Carp in the net the biggest being 8lb. The swim slowed so I tried the GB line with single red maggot and had a 2 oz Skimmer followed by a few “drop-off” Ronnie’s. I then tried the soft pellet over the GB and had a small Common Carp. I re-fed the GB line and had another couple of Carp. This is when things got difficult, I hit a wall. All I could do was add of carp from the margin on corn and one on triple maggot over the GB line which I had converted to maggot.
 
My Silvers weighed 2oz and my ten Carp 35lb 1oz for a total of 35lb 3oz! This left me coinless in 6th place.
 
On Hindsight: I shouldn’t have fed the GB but had a maggot line instead. Secondly I should have had another line over to the island and pulled up the slope. The reason I didn’t bother over was because I thought the wind was going to pick up, but it didn’t.
 
He match was won By Tony Rixon (pictured right with some of his catch) with 80lb 2oz from peg 6. Tony caught up the bar at 13 metres with bronze maggot…see his blog for all the details…Including when Tony first shouting "all out" instantly followed by “fish on” – organisers perk I suppose!
 
Eighteen fished today with four having an early bath probably due the incessant rain.
 
Full Result:
 
  1. Tony Rixon 80-02-0 peg 6
  2. Mark Walsh 55-03-0 peg 20
  3. Paul Elms 51-12-0 peg 1
  4. Craig Edmonds 50-12-0 peg 16
  5. Phil Harding 40-01-0 peg 9
  6. Mike Nicholls 35-03-0 peg 19
 Top Silvers:
 
  1. Clive Federey 8-01-0 peg 14
  2. Steve Segar 6-13-0 peg 3
Weigh Sheet:
 
 
 

No comments: