Thursday 12 September 2013

Thursday 12/09/2013 - Bathampton AA Over 55's and Disabled - Bridge Pool

With autumn now with us it was good to still have high temperatures with today being over cast and a muggy 19 degrees, let’s hope it continues.
 
In to the draw bag and out comes peg 33, which was the end peg on the far bank. It has thrown up some Ronnie weights. And because the aerator had been running 24/7 which was at my end on the Lake I was anticipating a good day on the Ronnie’s.
 
I set up the Ronnie rig, a 4x16 Jolly for the CW&C and a paste rig for the LH margin for later with the paste – if indeed necessary. I started by feeding a pot of CW&C at 9 metres and started feeding the Ronnie line. I started ay 9 metres on a piece of worm and had a 4oz Hybrid, followed by 4 small Perch! I decided to re-feed and try the Ronnie rig – my banker. Unfortunately I really struggled to get bites on the caster, which I took to be due to maundering Carp so tried the paste over the caster and that produced nothing. So I tried the CW&C line again only to add a few more small Perch. Back on the Ronnie rig and with a single dead red maggot and after a wait I could catch a 2oz Ronnie. With 5 hours now gone and with 3lb 4oz of Silvers in the net and with Carp - o –clock looming I decided to fish the match out with paste. I was soon hanging on to a foul hooked monster which I needed to point the pole at to prevent a breakage. This resulted in the dark red elastic pulling out of the pull-a-bung bead losing the lot and because the elastic knot pulled through it took the PTFE bush with it – a clean sweep. Bob Warren some 50 metres away spotted it going past his peg 16!
 
The upshot was I hooked and landed three decent Carp for 31lb 10oz for a 7th overall weight of 34lb 14oz.
 
I think had the aerator been left on I might have caught more Silvers as I think because of the flow created by the aerator the fish have to swim and hence feed, but as soon as it stops the fish stop feeding – my theory anyway.
 
The match was won by John Smith (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 133lb 14oz from peg 15. John caught at 16 metres to the opposite island using 8mm banded pellet over loose fed 6’s and 8’s feeding about one pint.
 
The Silvers was won by Mike Keys with 19lb from peg 26. Mike caught at 8 metres using meat over loose fed hard 4’s, landing some big Skimmers.
 
Full Result:
 
  1. John Smith 133-14-0 peg 15
  2. Dave Poole 67-11-0 peg 24
  3. Paul Haines 63-2-0 peg 14
  4. Ray Bazeley 55-15-0 peg 11
  5. Terry Bruton 45-10-0 peg 21
  6. Bob Warren 44-04-0 peg 16
  7. Mike Nicholls 34-14-0 peg 33
 Top Silvers:
 
  1. Mike Keys 19-0-0 peg 26
  2. Charlie Barnes 14-06-0 peg 10
  3. Mike Taylor 10-10-0 peg 7
 Weigh Sheets:
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Mike Jones said...

You obviously didn't listen to your scout master when he was demonstrating knots!!