Monday 9 September 2013

Sunday 08/09/2013 - Avon Angling Open - Sedges Fishery - Brick Lake

It was once again in to the Hilltop cafe for breakfast with Bela or as Tom Thick spelt his name on the weigh sheet “Bellend”.
 
We were on Brick Lake today which has a good head of big Skimmers and big Carp. However, the winning pegs can readily be predicted by the wind direction. I wanted either pegs 10 or 11 for the Carp or any peg between 4 and 8 for the Skimmers.
 
In to the draw tin and out comes peg 13 – unlucky for some – me. Arriving at the peg it would be necessary for me to get into the water as the level was so low that it would have been difficult to get enough keep net in to safe guard the fish well being. I soon found a comfortable place for the seat box and I was really glad I did this as its much better for fishing closer to the water surface plus you get a metre or advantage.
 
The wind was blowing into peg 11 so giving me some cover from the bright skies. So I set up the 0.75 gram paste float to be fished at 9 metres. After plumbing up I was very disappointed to find that the float was going through with the wind, this wasn’t going to be good for bait presentation. So I also set up a 4x16 Jolly to be fished at 5 metres in anticipation of picking up some tow. Alas not but the float did go through slower. Finally, a margin paste float for the RH margin towards Ray Bazeley who was on peg 12. Mike West was on my Left on peg 14 and had a torrid time losing fish on snags and DNW'ed.
 
After mixing up a Ray Bazeley bowl of GB I fed three big balls laced with dead reds at 5 metres, followed by a pot of wetted micro at 9 metres. I started at 5 metres with double dead red maggot hoping to pick up some early big Skimmers. Alas not, I was getting a fish a go but they were 2oz Skimmers which if I fished for them all day I wouldn’t get near a Silver winning target of 30lb. So it was now out on the paste which I had to hold-back to get any sort of presentation. I did have three quick good sized Carp and a Bream. But it didn’t last. I struggled for the next few hours only foul hooking two more Carp. I think the early Carp were hungry enough not to worry about presentation. After re-feeding the two lines I had another round of small fish on the maggot and the paste at 9 metres until I hooked a Carp which got snagged up losing another rig. With an hour to go I decided not to retackle for this line and spend the rest of the match in the margin, gnome like (according to Rip Off who was opposite on flyer peg 7). I managed to get the Carp swirling in the edge but they are old crafty fish and would only feed above the stones/bricks with the paste hook bait down between them. By fishing just down the edge into clear water I did land two more big Carp losing two foul hookers (the ones staying up on the stones).
 
My Silvers weighed a disappointing 5lb 7oz and my five Carp 45lb 9oz for a total of 51lb.
 
The match was won by Craig Edmonds (pictured right with some of his catch) with 123lb 7oz from peg 11. Craig caught at 14.5metres and into the end margin using meat in both swims.
 
The Silvers was won by Tony Rixon (pictured right with the match winner) form peg 7 with 44lb 12oz of Skimmers se his blog for details…With ”Bellend” picking up for second in the Silvers with 27lb 8oz.
 
Full Result:
 
  1. Craig Edmonds 123-07-0 peg 11
  2. Glenn Bailey 116-14-0 peg 10
  3. Tony Rixon 94-0-0 peg 7
  4. Tom Mangnel 75-02-0 peg 15
  5. Phil Harding 69-11-0 peg 16
  6. Joe McMahon 67-15-0 peg 17
 
Top Silvers:
 
  1. Tony Rixon 44-12-0 peg 7
  2. Bela Bakos 27-08-0 peg 8
  3. Craig Edmonds 18-05-0 peg 11
 
Weigh Sheets:
 
 
 

No comments: