Friday 30 August 2013

Thursday 29/08/2013 - Bathampton AA Over 55's and Disabled - Withy Pool

It was my 43rd wedding anniversary today, however I had forgotten! But lucky me, so had the Special One – Phew!!
 
Mike Jones wanted me to clarify that since coming out at Tockenham (out of the Lake that is) that he has switched back to Y Fronts. So no more piss take please.
 
The Huntstrete venue was very busy today which goes to show how good the pleasure fishing can be.
 
It was another good turn our including Charlie “I’m not going to Withy again” Barns. So Mike had to select a few “Experiment” pegs which were 35, 40, 52 and 65. In to the draw bag and out came peg 35. Probably the best of these experimental pegs. I won from it some time ago with three big Carp. It is also the aerator peg which BAA has been quite rightly constantly running due to low oxygen levels. It certainly had attracted a lot of small Silvers which looked like this year’s batch. With the water level low but now appeared to have stabilised I set up the box next to the platform close to the water this allowed me to get the keep nets right into the water plus I like fishing close as possible the water.
 
I put in three nets which raised some eyebrows and a bit of piss take. I did this to spread any Carp out as they are now in the main double figure fish. An example for some anglers I think. If you take the nets use them all.
 
It doesn’t take much of an angling brain to see it is a Carp peg. That said I had decided to fish for the Silvers with the Ronnie rig, but set up a paste rig for the RH margin for later.
 
I started reasonably well catching 2 to 3oz Ronnie’s and some Perch on single caster. I kept an eye on the anglers I could see to see if any of the big skimmers were being caught because it would have mad what I was doing fruitless. I was interrupted by three foul hooked Carp coming in to investigate matters. With a hour to go I thought I was just short of 10lb so went for a Banana walk up to Mike Jones who said he had a few Ronnie’s weighing over 10lb but some big Skimmers had been coming out in the late 40’s. Martin Alexander was blanking on peg 40! Decision made I changed to Carp in the margin with paste landing four Carp losing one which I managed to get round the lily pads but let it escape once it reached the aerator!
 
My four Carp weighed 43lb 14oz and my Silvers 8lb 6oz for a total of 52lb 4oz for 6th overall. There’s no doubt that that had I fished for Carp all match I would have finished higher in the frame.
 
I think from all the experimental pegs today my peg 35 is the only one worth pegging on a regular basis.
 
The match was won by John Fry (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 104lb 7oz all Carp catch from peg 49. Inexplicably John lost 14 Carp! John caught on meat over pellet.
 
The Silvers was won by Alan Jones with 20lb 6oz from peg 47. Alan caught some big Skimmers by initially catching on worm over micro then later switching to worm over caster.
 
Full Result:
 
  1. John Fry 104-07-0 peg 49
  2. Terry Bruton 74-15-0 peg 44
  3. Chris Rolfe 72-02-0 peg 54
  4. Andy Shields 60-08-0 peg 66
  5. Ray Bazeley 59-04-0 peg 46
  6. Mike Nicholls 52-04-0 peg 35
 Top Silvers:
 
  1. Alan Jones 20-06-0 peg 47
  2. Pete Turner 17-05-0 peg 59
  3. Mike Taylor 15-06-0 peg 48
 Weigh Sheets:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: