Thursday 18 July 2013

Thursday 18/07/2013 - Bathampton AA - Over 55's and Disabled - Bridge Pool

First things first, today was Darren Gillman’s  50th birthday, so I stopped off on the way to the Coffin Dodgers to give him his birthday card and his Special One gave me a coffee. His work mates bought him a blow up simmer frame (pictured right). Darren’s has all the other blow up toys! I was then off fishing and Darren was off to a surprise day out.
 
It was in to the draw bag and out comes peg 28. I was happy with this. Arriving at the peg it had a brown wooden stake (pictured lower right). Apparently this depicts a Divvy Bivvy peg. I can’t understand any discerning Carp anger wanting to catch the small Carp on this pool. Next year many of these fish will have their mouths torn apart after being hauled in by 20lb lines.
 
I set up the Ronnie rig and two paste rigs one to ne fished at 4 metres a bit up the inside shelf over, as it happens over an horrendous snag. The other rig  for in to the bay to my right. I deliberated about this all match as I thought I might not be able to attract the Carp in to the bay from the main body of water. To some extent I was right.
 
I started on the Ronnie rig with Barry Fitchew’s casters and had a run of one Perch! This rig was abandoned after this and I went out to 4 metres with the paste and as I said I snagged up two times line with only a lost foul hooked Carp to show for it.
 
It was far too early to go in to the margin, but that’s where I spent the rest of the Match on paste landing one more Silver, a 1lb 10oz Skimmer and ten Carp, losing 3 – two foul Hookers and one other the hook pulled.
 
My Silvers weighed 1lb 12oz and my Carp 76lb 10oz for a match winning total of 78lb 6oz.
 
The Silvers was won by Rich Coles (pictured right with the match winner) with 13lb 8oz from peg 7. Rich caught Skimmers on chopped worm and caster.
 
Full Result:
 
  1. Mike Nicholls 78-06-0 peg 28
  2. Pete Greenslade 59-01-0 peg 24
  3. Dave Poole 55-01-0 peg 17
  4. Mike Jones 47-14-0 peg 8
  5. Chris Rolfe 46-12-0 peg 18
  6. Rich Coles 44-07-0 peg 7 
Top Silvers:
 
  1. Rich Coles 13-08-0 peg 7
  2. Mike Taylor 13-06-0 peg 32
  3. Bill Ferris 10-14-0 peg 31
  4. Dave Gillard 10-0-0 peg 29
 
Weigh Boards Follow:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike, I massively disagree with your comments above concerning the 'small' carp that carp anglers will target with '20lb line...ripping their mouths apart'.

What uneducated nonsense.

I know for a fact that these 'small' carp are now consistently reaching weights exceeding 20lbs in both pleasure sessions and matches (and subsequently being kept in keepnets for upto 5 hours...) - hardly 'small' in anyones eyes.

20lb line? Please! I gaurentee this wont be commonplace.

And finally, regarding the 'ripping fish's mouths to bits'....I can gaurentee you that a smaller barbless hook (say sizes 16 down to a 10 for paste) would likely cause far greater damage to the fish's mouth...that is when theyre landed on such fine gear and not lost as is often the case..potentially trailing an entire rig (I know how elastics can go leaving the fish with the lot...)

Normally it is carp anglers with such an uneducated outlook on the sport as a whole, however your comments above shocked someone who fishes for carp both 'match style' and 'carper style'...tut tut Mr Nicholls, get those facts straight before preaching to the masses...

Anonymous said...

I tend to agree with Mike, a 20lb Carp is hardly a specimen and certainly not worthy of photographing

Andy G.