Monday 29 July 2013

Sunday 29/07/2013 - Avon Angling Open - Chiltern Trinity - Woodlands

With talk that big weights of Skimmers have been coming out on paste I was looking forward to this match. However, although I looked at the weather forecast including the wind speed which was predicted to be 18 mph, I wasn't prepared for what I was about to be faced with  high gusting to gale force winds.
 
In to the draw bag and out comes peg 10 on the far bank which is usually a good peg for the Silvers. That said arriving at the peg the wind was driving directly into it – bugger.
 
I set up a Ronnie rig and two paste rigs one for the margin and the other to be fished out as far I dare, my choice of distance of 9 metres was far too ambitious as it proved and was a big mistake, 5 metres would have been my hindsight choice. Anyway I started on this line feeding two big pots of micro where I think I was soon getting some fizzing (hard to be sure with the wind driven waves). First put in with paste I had a Carp which even though it was only a 3lb Common it took an age to land because the water was 8 foot deep which necessitated for me to wind the elastic right in to reach it with the landing net from the high platform. I persevered with this line even though the float and paste was travelling with the wind, hence the need to hold the float back a bit which isn't easy in the wind. I found I was getting nibbles from small fish which I later took as small hybrids (2 to 4oz) that has suddenly put in an appearance on the venue. Because of the wind I decided to have a go on the paste in the RH margin and had four quick Carp again 3 lb Commons which fought like stink. The fifth in the margin was a much bigger Carp which after a long scrap wrecked my rig under the platform.
 
I suppose it had to happen sooner or later (I would have preferred much later) my hands were hurting so much due to the Arthritis and being off pain killers at the moment. I felt I had to stop fishing for the Carp as I could not keep up with these hard fighting fish and the speed at which I was catching them. I decided to stow away well behind me my paste top sets out of harms way and fish for Silvers on the Ronnie rig and caster. At least by fishing in the RH margin I would have the wind off my back. And that’s what I did for the rest of the match albeit some interruptions from the wind blowing my rig in to the edge vegetation – bloody wind. I think I was taking my frustration of my weakened hands out on the wind.
 
My five Carp weighed 13lb 7oz and my net of mainly small Hybrids and Ronnie Slime weighed 17lb 15oz. This put me third in the Silvers being beaten out of second place by two dubious Common Carp hybrids that supposedly didn’t have any barbules. You have to go with the scales man decision in such cases.
 
Even so my hands were still very sore (as was my face due to wind burn) during the night.
 
The match was won by Shaun Townsend (pictured right with some of his catch) with 163lb 11oz from peg 11 (next to me). Shaun caught on meat down to the empty platform peg 12 (as did Gordon Cannings from peg 13). Shaun fed his meat through the kinder pot. I think I made the right choice in swapping to the Silvers as I could not have played and landed that weight of fish today).
 
The Silvers was won by Craig Edmonds (pictured right with his net of Skimmers) with 26lb 8oz from peg 24. Craig caught on 8mm meat at 6 metres over lose fed meat. A great result considering he left his all tackle home except his rod holdall. You don't get the nick name Trigger for no reason.
 
Full Result:
 
  1. Shaun Townsend 163-11-0 peg 11
  2. Tony Rixon 115-01-0 peg 20
  3. Adrian Jeffery 113-01-0 peg 15
  4. Alan Oram 107-06-0 peg 31
  5. Glenn Bailey 106-0-0 peg 6
  6. Gordon Cannings 101-15-0 peg 15
 
Top Silvers:
 
  1. Craig Edmonds 26-08-0 peg 24
  2. Clint Wojtyle 22-03-0 peg 28
  3. Mike Nicholls 17-15-0 peg 10
 
Weigh Board Follows:
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

Bristol Psv said...

Peg 10 was probably still jinxed from me being on it last week

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Hi Mike,

I came across your blog when searching for methods & hints about fishing Viaduct about a year ago.

Can I say how much I enjoy it. As someone who has only ever fished matches at Junior level for a local club, ironically sometimes against Ray Mumford (he was a senior, I was a junior) who is mentioned in your illegal catapult piece, it is a real insight into how the world of open matches operates.

I have read the angling press for 30+ years, but I have never had the feeling of getting the kind of insight I do from your blogs.

I try to take my son & his cousins away for a weekend each year fishing. They seem to enjoy it. For a about 3-4 years we were going upto Hampton Loade on the Severn after the barbel, but the pub was too good & the river too difficult for real amateurs such as ourselves. The good news is that my nephews are now taking a real interest in fishing, all be it in the darkside of Carp & Bivvys...

Last year we had a weekend at Viaduct (tired of blanking on the Severn) & we have just returned from a week in one of the lodges (just after your week there). Can I thank you for the information you have given about the fishery, it helped up our catches no end & we have already booked again for next year.

I have one question however that you may be able to help me with. In the mid 80's I went to Bridgwater, staying in a B&B that had a lake at the end of the garden a couple of times. All I can remember about the place was that it was quite close to the M5 and the house itself was all but the last one in the road. The road itself was one that came straight out of Bridgwater and I think you went over a small bridge & then there was a HUGE cellophane works. The factory used to own the lake(s) I believe and during the week it used to make the air stink. The house we stayed in was then as I say, one of the last houses after that factory.

I have tried to find it on Google Earth, but to no avail.

I wondered if you knew about this lake and knew if it still existed or anything of its history.

Many thanks once again for the blog.

Richard Carr (no, not THAT Dickie Carr)

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Can anyone help Richard with the house. Obviously close to what was British Cellophane.