Sunday 14 July 2013

Sunday 14/07/2013 - Avon Angling Open - Sedges - Brick Lake

John London is one of my blog followers, a fellow photographer and more important a Fry’s AA old boy. John doesn’t live far from the Sedges and came down to check I really use Colmic Jolly floats. We spent a good hour having an open surgery comparing our ailments, all we needed was Bela!! One thing John let slip was that Bob Warren was a good table tennis player – well Bob had to do something useful all those years at Fry’s!
 
Well it was back to that wonderful venue “The Sedges”. I have missed fishing this venue particularly my tussles on the Silvers with Darren Gillman. He’s too busy catching bugger all on the Huntspill and Gloucester Canal.
 
I was hoping for any corner peg or pegs 4 to 8 and opposite these pegs.
 
Tony at last recognised that the old and infirm should draw first – a pity Trigger ignored this. I was first in but only just and pulled peg 4. So I was happy with this.
 
I had a plan, because last Thursday at the Coffin Dodgers I had a chat with Rich Coles who is a bit of a Sedges venue expert on the Silvers. He told me the last Silvers were won with 70lb on CW&C and him and Paul (his fat mate) had 40lb on paste. So I set up a 4x16 Jolly to fish the worm at 9 metres at 10 o clock and a 0.75 gram paste float to be at the same length fished at 2 o clock.
 
On the whistle I fed a pot of CW&C, and on the other line a pot of Micro. I started on the worm (which is worse having you head and tail torn off and impaled of a 16 hook or being left out in the sun until baked in to twig)? The upshot, there was lots of fizzing going on with no bites. I put this down as Eels supping up the caster. So after half hour I switched to the paste (thanks Rich) and had a Skimmer first put in. That was it, past for the rest of the match then, dripping in a few 4’s with the paste after every fish. I caught twenty four Skimmers steady throughout the match interrupted by three Carp.
 
My Silvers weighed 45lb 8oz (pictured right with the capture) and my three Carp 16lb 14oz for a total of 62lb 6oz. This gave me first in the Silvers and 7th overall.
 
A (proper days fishing - can't say that as I am sure more Silvers was caught in the Super League on the Huntspill on the pole today), even though I went home baked but not quite a twig.
 
The match was won by Craig Edmonds (pictured right with the Silvers winner - holding him a bit too tight me thinks) who according to him drew a crap peg 1, mugging/stalking/trashing about landing 144lb 13oz of Carp on hard banded pellet. The only thing I like about this method is that you don’t feed anything.
 
Full Result:
 
1.      Craig “Trigger” Edmonds 144-13-0 Corner peg 1
2.      Tony Rixon 117-04-0 Corner peg 11
3.      Shaun Townsend 93-02-0 peg 17
4.      Adrian Jefferies 76-15-0 peg 2
5.      Leon Hubbard 67-02-0 peg 12
6.      Paul Elmes 63-0-0 peg 15
7.      Mike Nicholls 62-06-0 peg 4
 
Top Silvers:
 
1.      Mike Nicholls 45-08-0 peg 4
2.      Shaun Townsend 22-04-0 peg 17
3.      Nick Brown 18-12-0 peg 6
 
Weigh Sheet Follows:
 
 

1 comment:

JohnL said...

Great result Mike, it was good to chat

JohnL