Saturday 22 June 2013

Thursday 20/06/2013 - Bait-Tech Viaduct Cost Cutter - Campbell and Carey Lakes

A perfect day for fishing overcast and warm and no rain forecast. In to the draw container and out comes peg 114. Close enough to the form Silvers pegs 115 and 116 as I really wasn’t that keen to have another Carp battering. Glenn had a little moan that he drew peg 78 on Carey. Tim and Mark had switched swims and Martyn was on 114 Glenn’s peg from yesterday.
 
Arriving at peg 77 behind me on Carey was Howard Webb (pictured right with his paste mixes and meat balls – big aren’t they). With paste being in vogue it reminded me when I first met Howard which was in 2001 fishing Campbell for the first time it was open. Howard was next to me I fished the waggler with maggot and Howard fished the pole cupping in GB, but he had a large ball of something on his hook and catching big Skimmers. I asked him what it was and he said balls of GB. The first time I had seen paste used. Howard has been using GB hook baits for at least 20 years. I wouldn’t hesitate to award Howard with the invention of this deadly bait. I also understand that he was the first to use a method feeder. So when you read the various angling journals where “top” anglers are explaining the use of these methods next time get it from the horse’s mouth and have a chat to Howard– but be aware he still won’t tell what’s in his paste/GB mixes.
 
I just set up two rigs both for paste and hopefully both for Silvers. One was for the RH margin to be fished over caster and micro and another at 7 metres to be fished over micro – simple. Looking in the LH margin towards peg 113 there were sighs of plenty of Carp another snag alley.
 
I started well catch Skimmers and Tench on my two Silvers lines. In the first 45 minutes I had nearly 30lb. I got up for a pee and Glenn said he already had 70lb of Carp with seven fish and could he borrow a net from me if needed – mistake to anticipate this, always best to wait to you fill the ones you have before you go down this road. Glenn only added another 4 Carp to his total after this! But they were big as pictured right with one of his 18lb Carp.
 
Back to my swim to catch another 30lb of Silvers only to find the Carp had arrived. I only had one more Skimmer and Tench in between being battered by carp again. I couldn’t help myself going down in to snag alley losing plenty of rigs, elastic, breaking a top set and landing net frame.
 
My silvers weighed 29lb 11oz and my Carp 101lb 9oz for a match third with 131lb 4oz and a pick up of £15 which would only cover 20% of the damage done!
 
The match was won by Scott Russell (pictured right with one of his smallest Carp) with 190lb from peg 121. Russell caught in short on a margin pole in both margins using meat and paste.
 
The Silvers was won by Fishery Manager Paul Greenwood (pictured lower right with the match winner under the fisheries new banner – Bait-Tech Viaduct Fishery) with 49lb 11oz.Paul caught on hard 6mm pellet fished short over loose fed 6’s.
 
 
Full Result:
 
1.      Scott Russell 190-0-0 peg 121
2.      Tim Ford 153-15-0 peg 123
3.      Mike Nicholls 131-04-0 peg 114
4.      Glenn Bailey 126-07-0 peg 78
5.      Shep 117-06-0 peg 116
6.      Martin Lenaghan 114-14-0 peg 85
 
Top Silvers:
 
1.      Paul Greenwood 49-11-0 peg 131
2.      Colin Dyer 44-03-0 peg 125
3.      John Bradford 30-0-0 peg 128
 
Weigh Sheets Follow:
 

No comments: