Thursday 6 June 2013

Thursday 06/06/2013 - "Rays Rip-Off" - Rood Ashton

With The Coffin Dodgers and Pill Poppers match being cancelled Ray Bazeley organised a match at Rood Ashton with a sell out to mainly CD & PP regulars. I got my name down early as I love this venue and haven’t been there for some time. Luckily for us there was an evening match on the Car Park bank so we were on the far bank (my favourite area) with permission to drive round – good one Ray.
 
Rood Ashton is a venue that is so picturesque that it doesn’t matter if you catch or not – which was to prove lucky for me.
 
As Mark Tanner also likes the venue he managed to get a day away from the office so picked me up. Mark decided to stop at McDonalds for a coffee and bought me a tea, only for Mark to hit a pothole and I ended up wearing it – very painful.
 
In to the draw box and out comes peg 6 which was midway along the top bank opposite the island. Unfortunately it was a very narrow swim (but not quite a Parrott cage), dead calm and bright, with surface rubbish blowing in and out the swim (this went on all day). So I had no margin option so it was going to be just the one swim at 10 metres. I set up one paste, a soft pellet and a maggot rig all to be fished full depth – 18 inches!
 
I started on the soft pellet over kindered hard 4’s and could only get bites  from small Ronnie’s but could not hook one. So I switched to the single maggot again over kindered dead maggot. I started to hook a few Ronnie’s but because of the depth of water they were splashing around on the surface a soon as I struck, losing 50% of the fish I hooked. It wasn’t going to plan. I then hooked and lost a foul hooked Carp breaking the hook length. I had a walk done to Mark Tanner who was on peg 8 and mark was catching on the pole and straight lead. Mark had plenty of wind cover which was helping him. I decided to focus on the Silvers, which might have been the right decision if I caught some, but I didn’t, instead I was a case of hooking a Carp in the mouth and then lose a foul hooker. I tried the paste with no joy. So I stayed on the maggot until the end landing 8 Carp and losing 12 (yes 12) foul hookers. I tried allsorts of feeding but I couldn’t work out how to catch the critters in the mouth – very frustrating.
 
My 8 Carp weighed 24lb 14oz and my bag of Ronnie’s 1lb 3oz from a not so grand total of 26lb 1oz for 8th overall and third in the Silvers! That said I did enjoy fishing against the fish at one time I had clawed back to 8 Carp in the net and lost 8 foul hookers, but lost the day in the final 30 minutes.
 
The match was won by Mark Tanner (pictured upper right with his catch) with 67lb 8oz from peg 8. Mark caught on hard banded 8mm pellet fished at 12 metres over lose fed hard 4’s. Mark also had a couple on both the pellet waggler and straight lead.
 
The Silvers was won by Andy Shields (pictured lower right with the match winner) with 3lb 4oz of Ronnie’s all caught on maggot from peg 10.
 
Full Result:
 
1.      Mark (I don’t like this peg)Tanner 67-8-0 peg 8
2.      Pete Greenslade 46-10-0 peg 46-10-0 peg 2
3.      Kevin Jefferies 44-04-0 peg 4
4.      Dave Gillard 40-12-0 peg 3
5.      Ray Bazeley 34-04-0 peg 1
6.      Paul Haines 30-0-0 peg 9
 
Top Silvers:!
 
1.      Andy Shields 3-04-0 peg 10
2.      Charlie Barnes 1-08-0 peg 5
 
Weigh Sheet: 

 
 There will be another of Ray's Rip-off next Thursday so book in early.


No comments: