Sunday 30 June 2013

Sunday 30/06/2013 - Viaduct Top Six Open - Campbell Lake

I had planned to have another visit to Summerhay’s today but when I heard that the draw was 11am, in another words an afternoon match  - much too late for me, so I switched to the Viaduct top six match on Campbell – which was a sell out and more with 24 pegs in!
 
After breakfast in Woody’s (Bela loves his sausages – he is a expert in this type of grub) it was in to the coffee tin and out comes peg 117. I was about to become one of the elite anglers that has fished this peg as it isn’t normally NOT pegged – a overflow peg! That said when arriving at the peg I was wondering why its not pegged, as there were plenty of signs of fish – I wasn’t left wondering for too long!
 
Bela drew peg 111.
 
I set up two paste rigs – one for both margins and a one for long out in front at not quite 6 metres. I started with paste in the kinder accompanied with a few hard 4’s. After two liners I was playing a 10lb Common which infiltrated every swim I planned to fish before it gave up. Next put in I had a Tench followed by a 2lb Perch – Umm! And that was it on this line for the next 5 hours and 30 minutes – other than Ronnie’s pestering my paste. In to the left hand margin and I had two more Tench as I did from the RH margin – no Carp. Swapping between the two margins I had a total of six Tench. I wasn’t sure whether the paste wasn’t doing the business or I had chased the fish out of “Ronnie bay”, so I set up a meat rig and soon discovered that it was the latter as all I got was Ronnie’s bites. So back on the paste in the RH margin and I hook a near 3lb Perch, however, as I was playing it my number four fell in the lake and as it was float I decided to play and land the Perch before recovery – mistake.
 
After landing the PB Perch I couldn’t see my number 4. I thought about asking Bela to go in for it but remembered that we had already had the "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" moment last year, which went something like this:
Bela: "Lost my number six in the lake".
Me: "Why didn't you go in for it".
Bela: "No".
Me: "It's not very deep"
Bela: "NO"
Me: "The waters not cold"
Bela: "NO"
Me: "Number six is expensive"
Bela: "NOoo, I CAN'T SWIM".
Me: "Pussy".
So as I wasn’t really catching I decided to go in the Lake after it. After stripping down to the knickers and temporarily joining the flip-flop brigade (Martin McMahon kindly loaned me his as the peg was surrounded by brambles). Peg 117 is very high off the water something I didn’t take into account before going in. In I went tearing my arm on the brambles, but found the water temperature like bath water, after retrieving the section after this was when I discovered I couldn’t get out, but once again Martin came to my rescue and pulled me out – thanks matey. The rumours as to why I had gone in the Lake was that  I had lost a plummet - twats! Once I had carefully explained to the Special One why my Knickers were wet she insisted I had  bath before getting in to bed with her.
 
I did have three more Carp before the end by persevering with the paste. My four carp weighed 22lb 13oz and my Silvers 18lb 11oz for a total of 41lb 8oz for not last!
 
The match and the Silvers was won Craig “Trigger” Edmonds (pictured right sporting his new hair loss style with his net of Tench) with 36lb of Tench and a total of 152lb 1oz from peg 120. Craig caught all his fish on 8mm meat loose feeding about 2 ½ tins throughout. The Tench were caught in his LH margin and the Carp out in front at 6 metres. Craig kept the fish coming by switching between the two swim.
 
Full Result:
 
1.      Craig Edmonds 152-01-0 peg 120
2.      Lee Werret 150-13-0 peg 135
3.      Paul Elms 131-05-0 peg 113
4.      Kevin Moulton 122-08-0 peg 128
5.      Paul Greenwood 116-09-0 peg 115
6.      Joe McMahon 102-15-0 peg 118

 
Top Silvers:
 
1.      Craig Edmonds 36-0-0 peg 120
2.      John Bradford 31-09-0 peg 121
3.      Tony Rixon 3002-0 peg 123
 
Weigh Sheet Follows:

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you did extremely well getting in that water, there's not many 95yr olds that would have.

Bristol Psv said...

I heard you went in to rescue your hard 4's before they got too soft to use again

The Last Gasp Gardener said...

another good read, glad I am not the only one who gets in

midsectionblues.blogspot