Sunday 9 June 2013

Sunday 09/06/2013 - Summerhay's Open - Sellick's and Lily's Ponds

First visit to Summerhay’s Fishery which is located at Junction 24 of the M5 near the Boat and Anchor pub and along side the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal. I remember having a couple of draws for the Drennan Super league in this pub – a few years ago now. After a decent breakfast in the Hill Tops cafĂ© it was off to fine the venue. If you are driving a van – which we were you have to cross the railway lines which was interesting because when it was our turn to cross the lights changed to red so Bela gave way to the fast travelling steam engine – yes a steam engine!
 
In to the draw and out came peg 23 on Sellicks Pond (pictured upper right) which was the only peg I looked at before the draw, thinking this would do.
 
Seeking knowledge from the locals (not always a wise thing) I was told I couldn’t win from the peg but could expect to win the Silvers. Whilst setting up I had a stalker in the grass opposite – can you identify him – the hat position is a give away.
 
So Silvers it was with a line for the soft pellet over micro at 10 metres at 11 o clock and similarly a line for maggot and GB at 1 o clock. The 4x14 Jolly would do for both lines. I also set up the Ronnie rig and a margin paste rig. After feeding the two Silvers lines I started on the Ronnie rig with caster over caster which produce, not a single bite – Umm. Out on the soft pellet line then and I had two bites which were both liners – pricking one fish – Umm. Over the GB with maggot and I had a run of two small Skimmers – Umm. I switched between these two lines with only the maggot producing bites adding three decent Skimmers. I decided to convert the GB line to CW&C which produced two Perch. With 2 ½ hours gone I decided to throw the towel in for the Silvers and get on the paste in the margins. I opened up one at 10 metres into the end corner and one to the right on the top set, however, I wasn’t sure about the RH as I would be fishing in the sedges. I had a run on small Carp on the 10 metre line losing two because the fish fight so hard for their size that I lost patients and pulled out by applying too much pressure (this would cost me money today). In to the swim of death and first put in I broke on a Carp. Luckily I didn’t lose another from this swim so my worries were minor. By swapping between these two margins I ended the day with 14 Carp, the biggest being 5lb.
 
My Carp weighed 34lb 10oz and my Silvers 5lb 4oz for a total of 39lb 14oz for 7th overall.
 
 The match was won by Bob Gullick (pictured right with the Silvers winner) from a peg at the far end on Sellicks Lake with 63lb 6oz. Bob Caught on pellet.
 
The Silvers was won by Steve Jackson also on Sellicks Lake with 9lb 12oz. Steve caught Skimmers with maggot hook bait fished over maggot.
 
Full Result:
 
1.      Bob Gullick 63-06-0
2.      Tony Rixon 47-04-0
3.      Joe McMahon 46-0-0
4.      Aaron Brittnel 44-07-0
5.      Kev Moulton 42-10-0
6.      Mark Lucus 41-01-0
7.      Mike Nicholls39-14-0
 
Top Silvers:
 
1.      Steve Jackson 9-12-0
2.      Ray W 9-0-0
3.      Brendon I 8-04-0
 
Weigh Board (peg numbers are either S for Sellick's or L for Lily's Pond)
 
 

No comments: