Saturday 29 June 2013

Saturday 29/06/2013 - Hillview Open - Moorhen and Heron Lakes

Son Steve wanted another trip to Hillview which is just north of Tewkesbury and is a very popular fishery at the moment for the Brummies and Welsh. It’s the commercial fishery I first fished and with it only an easy 50 minute drive up the M5 I amazed more of the Bristol lads don’t pay a visit – lots to learn from the regulars.
 
You always get a warm welcome form the lads and Keith Hill the owner – but he is taking your money. After a breakfast and a chat with Two Metres Groves and Top Kit King it was in to the woolly hat, its OK I washed my hands after as Keith has been using his hat for at least twenty years! And out comes Top Kits favourite peg 22 on Heron (a view from the peg pictured above). Terry came round and explained where he did and where he didn’t catch. As it happened he was spot on.
 
Steve drew peg 8 on Moorhen causeway.
 
I initially set up two rigs a 4x12 Jolly to fish soft pellet or meat at 4 metres at one o clock and a 0.2 paste rig to fish the margins. The LH margin looked the business but Terry said he didn’t catch there, but I kept an open mind, but as I said he was spot on as I didn’t have a Carp from it.
 
On the whistle I fed a pot of casters down the dead LH margin and started to loose fed hard 4’s down the Left, Terry’s banker and mine!  However, I started on the soft pellet at 4 metres kindering hard 4’s. The upshot was that I was being tortured by Silvers. Wherever and whatever I tried I was being ragged. So bugger it I set up the Ronnie rig for caster over caster (I don’t know why as there are no Silvers pool here). I had Ronnie’s, Rudd, Skimmers and loads of Perch every put in. After an hour on them it went a bit iffy an indication that the Carp may have arrived, so it was into the RH margin and I did have a run of Carp, the Black original ones which no doubt I caught all those years ago it’s nice to see they are still here albeit the mouths are much smaller! With two hours to go I did have a run of bigger Carp and was expecting to do a good weight – doesn’t this always happen as it went quiet for the next half hour only adding another three Carp – this was a bit disappointing.
 
My Silvers weighed 26lb 6oz (an ideal venue to have a Silvers pool) and my 10 Carp weighed 56lb for a total of 82lb 6oz for 9th overall.
 
The match was one by Andy Newton (pictured right with some of his bucketed fish) from peg 39. I must say I was impressed with his fishing. Andy caught in both his margins and at 4 metre fishing soft pellet over loose fed micro (I nearly got it right). Andy did have a Carp that must have been close or over 20lb down his RH margin.
 
Full Result:
 
1.      Andy Newton 120-10-0 peg 39
2.      Steve Ford 113-0-0 peg 19
3.      Billy 111-08-0 peg 31
4.      Corky 104-11-0 peg 33
5.      CC 104-04-0 peg 3
6.      Lee 102-06-0 peg 35
 
Weigh Sheet:
 
 

No comments: