Saturday 22 June 2013

Friday 21/06/2013 - Viaduct - Charlie Barns Cost Cutter - Match Lake

This was supposed to be organised by Charlie Barns unfortunately Charlie was poorly so it was left to me! Anyway there was only five of us plus a part timer Tim Ford who had to leave lunch time.
 
I like Match Lake as it has much smaller Carp and loads of F1’s and big Skimmers. It was pegged so that everyone had a island chuck I pulled 52 and was happy with this as I just couldn’t face another day of being Carp battered. So a definite day for the Simmers I was thinking. So I set up the one rig a 4x12 Jolly as it is only three foot deep to serve two swims (just) one for the messy business CW&C and the other soft pellet over micro. I fed both swims and started on the soft pellet and was soon being Ronnied out. So switch to a big piece of worm on the other line and soon had a decent Skimmer and a small Tench only to be Ronnied again. After re-feeding both lines I found the F1’s took a liking to the worm line adding a few more Skimmers as well. So back on the pellet where the Ronnie’s were waiting for a falling bait.
 
Bugger it I set up a paste rig and went over the pellet line and had a run of big Skimmers and Tench with a smattering of F1’s. Because the Lake it so shallow it can be difficult to hold the big Silvers in the same swim which I finally suffered with two hours to go so had an easy remainder on the day fishing the top set in the margin catching the odd Tench, small Carp and plenty big f1’s.
 
My Silvers went 30lb 14oz taking my total to 65lb – F1’s do not count as Silvers at Viaduct because they got plenty of Silvers not to do this. So I came first in the Silvers and third overall.
 
We were all mugged by the local Dude (pictured right with a nice net of f1’s and below with the Silvers winner) who weighed 83lb 9oz of mainly F’s. The Dude caught initially on the waggler and later in his LH margin, both with hard 8mm pellet.
 
Mark tanner had some bad luck (again) as I am sure he would have won the match if he could have fished the whole match on the waggler, but unfortunately the Willow shucks fill his swim binding his running line in the rid rings – his swim looked like ice with snow on the top!
 
Full Result:
 
1.      Dan “The Dude” Squires 83-09-0 peg 44
2.      Glenn Bailey 70-05-0 peg 40
3.      Mike Nicholls 65-0-0 peg 52
4.      Mark Tanner 59-13-0 peg 50
5.      Martyn Woodington 59-13-0 peg 42
 
Top Silver:
 
1.      Mike Nicholls 30-14-0 peg 52
 
Well that’s it for our annual fishing holiday, which we all thoroughly enjoyed so much we have booked again for next year. It wasn’t all about the fishing as we did have some great food in the local area. I especially enjoyed the small Indian Restaurant and the Carvery. We were amazed how much Glenn “Baby Bela” Bailey was eating as can be seen from just two of his meals pictured below. Apparently he doesn’t  get cooked for at home, certainly made up for last week.
 
I must say that when Viaduct management Steve and Paul do work and maintenance they do it right. A great fishery which has lakes that suit all types of angling. We have already booked for next year.
 

No comments: