Saturday 4 May 2013

Saturday 04/05/2013 - Acorn Fishery Open - Paddocks

Son Steve managed to get a day put fishing and it was a toss up whether we went to Hillview or Acorn. Acorn won the vote because of the potential holiday traffic on the M5 and it would be Steve’s first visit. The bonus was I could put in a bit of practice for the KP series next week. So today I was hoping for a peg in C section (pegs 12 to 22).
 
Arriving at the draw it was good to see Leyton Palmer out fishing again – it must be warming up then, which helped the attendance to 21 anglers.
 
In to the draw bag and out comes peg 15, so I got my wish. However, arriving at the peg I wish I could fish the opposite bank as I had the gusting wind coming into me at 1 o clock. I must say the venue wasn’t pegged as I and many others had expected, with a number of good pegs left out (see weigh sheets below). Steve drew peg 36.
 
I intended only fishing paste so set up just the two paste rigs, one rig for down the inside shelf at 4 metres at 1 o clock and the other for the RH margin on my top set.
 
For company I had that nice bloke Andy France on peg 13 (peg 12 was empty). We thought we were out of the main money today and with no section money we decoded to have our own little battle.
 
I started on the deep rig feeding the hook bait paste and micro together in the kinder pit. There was some activity put must of it was liners well above the hook bait. After some perseverance I did catch one Carp and a 1lb Skimmer. However, the wind was so fierce that my eyes started to sting so gave this line up in favour of the margin rig.
 
The wind was a real nightmare for me drastically affecting my feeding and presentation. I kept preserving and did land another 2 - 1lb Skimmers and 16 decent Carp. Because of both the feeding and presentation I lost four foul hooked Carp. I fed a lot more than I usually do due to the wind blowing in my bait box!
 
My three Skimmers weighed 3lb 8oz and my Carp 74lb 15oz for a total of 78lb 5oz.
 
I did have a quite last hour whereas Andy had a good’un over taking me during this time. We were both surprised to get in the top three and a pick up – well done matey. I enjoyed your company today pity about the wind.
 
As I said Andy France (pictured right with some of his catch) won the match with 87lb 12oz from peg 13. Andy Caught 75% of his fish over to the far bank on either soft pellet and later bagging on sweet corn. 25% came from his RH margin using the same baits and feeding pattern.
 
The Silvers was won by Andy Gard (pictured lower right with the match winner) with 29lb 3oz from peg lonely peg 9. Andy caught on maggot.

Steve weighed 31lb 10oz - Hillview next time then!
 
Full Result:
 
1.      Andy France 87-12-0 peg 13
2.      Dave Wride 80-04-0 peg 6
3.      Mike Nicholls 78-05-0 peg 15
4.      Mike Owens 71-04-0 peg 40
5.      Leyton Palmer 64-15-0 peg 38
6.      Mike Walsh 59-03-0 peg 21
 
Top Silvers:
 
1.      Andy Gard 29-03-0 peg 9
2.      Dom Sullivan 21-01-0 peg 18
 
Weight Sheets Follow:
 
 

No comments: