Sunday 14 April 2013

Sunday 14/04/2013 - KP Pole Only Series - Round Three - Acorn Fishery

My son Mark made me feel proud today by coming 152nd in the Brighton Marathon where 9000 runners took part. Mark did it in 3 hours 9 minutes which puts him in the elite start for his next marathon; He also raised well over £1,300 for his charity (http://www.justgiving.com/lena-paulsen).
 
Bela wanted to have breakfast at Shipham so did I as I was following him, Adam Richman did well!
 
It was my turn on the Match Lake (aka “The Dog Bone” or “The Canal”). I was looking forward to fishing this pool as I thought it would suit me with plenty of Skimmers and small Carp showing recently. With GB working well for the Skimmers – how things change without notice Glenn Bailey!
 
After being bullied out by the Thyers youngsters I finally reached the draw container and out comes peg 8. Furthest end peg and usually good for Carp. For company I had three Coffin Dodgers Dave Poole on next peg 7 and the Gimp on the first peg below the Bridge. The Thyers lads were about to get their ass kicked by the Pensioners!
 
It the first time I have fished this pool since it was modified. Peg 8 is interesting to say the least as there are too many choices on where to fish. I have a rule never to split the fish by opening too many swims, today was to break this cardinal rule. I set up three rigs all 4x12 Jolly’s with various coloured tips. One rig did the far bank at 12 o clock at 13 metres and up to the tins at 10 metres, The other the inside margin at 5 metres and lastly for at 9 metres at 2 o clock.
 
The 9 metres line was my banker for the Skimmers with dead reds over Pinkie and GB. I spent an hour pissing around with this resulting in one tiny Skimmers and a Rudd! I abandon this tout sweet.
 
Having fed some hard fours into the margin I tried it throughout the match resulting in nothing at all – not even a liner. So I was now left with the two swims – the tins and over. The up shot was that I caught a few Skimmers on both lines and later a few small Carp over at 13 metres using 4 mm expander over wetted micro with a smidgeon of hard 4’s.
 
I was caught wanting today as my 13 metres wasn’t long enough to get over close enough to the far bank. In needed another halt metre or so. Age doesn’t come alone as I realised later that I had a long top set in the rod bag that would have got closer to doing the job – bugger.
 
Never mind I was happy enough to weigh 22lb for a second in the section beaten only by future England Junior Joe McMahon who weighed 36lb 6oz. I would have beaten Joe had his Dad Martin sat with him throughout the match giving his usual advice!
 
The match was won by Mike Owens (pictured right) with 83lb 8oz from peg 7. Mike caught mainly Carp fishing soft pellet over kindered micro fished over to the far bank.
 
The Silvers was won by The Gimp (Pictured right - aka John Bradford). Like me John couldn’t catch over the GB and it wasn’t until he switched to soft pellet that he caught Skimmers to 12oz by switching between two swims.
 
Full Result:
 
1.      Mike Owens 83-08-0 peg 7
2.      Pete Bartlett 75-14-0 peg 12
3.      Lewis Jones 70-12-0 peg 8
4.      Tim Ford 60-01-0 peg 30
5.      Andy France 54-03-0 peg 9
5.      Tom Thick 54-03-0 peg 40
7.      John Osborne 53-09-0 peg 38
 
Top Silvers:
 
1.      John Bradford 16-12-0 peg 6
2.      Lance Tucker 14-15-0 peg 3
3.      Mark Broomsgrove 12-14-0 peg 36
 
Section Weigh Sheets:
 






 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Chris Fox said...

Small faux pas in your results old chap.

1) Mike Owens 83.08 peg 7
2) Pete Bartlett 75.14 peg 12
3) Lewis Jones 70.12 peg 8
4) Tim Ford 60.01 peg 30
=5) Tom Thick 54.03 peg 40
=5) Andy France 54.03 peg 9