Thursday 10 January 2013

Thursday 10/01/2013 - Veals Bathampton AA - Silvers Championship - First Round - Bridge pool

I have been looking forward to the start of this league as it is well attended and as expected was a sell out with four sections of six.  Luckily as the weather was to take a turn for the worse we started on Bridged Pool which has been fishing reasonably well – considering.<
/div>
 
In to the very small draw bag and out comes peg 29. As I have said before I really don’t mind where I draw – but the higher pegs haven’t been fishing that well of late. However, I was peg D2 and expected the fishing to get worse further down the section higher numbers, so I was the right end. Also I had good company with John Smith on peg 30 – D1.
 
I decided on a negative approach setting up three rigs. Firstly the usual Ronnie rig which produced just the one on caster. The other two rigs were 4x16 Jolly’s. One with a 18 - 808 for the 3mm expander over micro and the other a 22 – 808 for GB and Pinkie, otherwise they were identical except for the depth as the bigger hook was to be fished out in front and the smaller at 10 o clock both with 10 metres of pole.
 
I started by feeding a small amount of micro with a dash of caster at 10 metres, holding back with the GB until I tested things. I started thrashing around for the Ronnie’s and caster before going out with the 3mm expander where I had a good 45 minutes catching Skimmers to 12oz regularly. I kept topping up with micro gradually increasing the caster to micro ratio. The reason for including the caster was for the Hybrids which can go to 2lb and well worth catching. However, today this proved to be a mistake as I only managed to attract Carp but couldn’t catch one. What followed was a difficult two hours. It’s very difficult to reverse feeding so I stopped feeding the caster and switched to GB laced with Pinkie. This produced a few more Skimmers but mainly small Ronnie’s. Thinking I had made amends on my pellet line I switched back only to be pestered by small Ronnie’s removing the 3 mm pellet before it got to the bottom. I had to switch to a 2mm pellet to catch them. For the purists a 2mm pellet on an 18 – 808 looks ridiculous, but it works. It was a question of feed a line and switch to the other and back again. I did have a bite every put in but the fish were very small from here to the end of the match.
 
My weight very difficult to estimate and was pleased to put 12lb on the scales for third overall and a section second – a satisfactory start to the league. The full section result is shown below which confirmed my view if the section.
 
The match was won from peg 24 with 43lb 12oz by Dave Wride (pictured lower right with his exceptional net of Skimmers). Dave “apparently” caught on either dead red maggot or 3 mm expander over either GB or micro fished at 11 metres at 11 o clock.
 
Full Result:
 
1.      Dave Wride 43-12-0 peg 24
2.      John Smith 14-06-0 peg 28
3.      Mike Nicholls 12-0-0 peg 29
4.      Pete Greenslade 11-01-0 peg 16
5.      Alan Jones 10-04-0 peg15
6.      Bob “Medium Slice” Price 8-09-0 peg 7
 
Accidental Carp Pool is a roll over even though Terry Bruton landed three but didn’t invest in the £2 pool!
 

4 comments:

Mike Jones said...

Well, thats one of your records gone! Superb weight considering how difficult most of the lake fished.

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Records are there to be broken. Credit where credit is due angling wise exellent display. However, I thought he was a bit of a post match plonker.

Anonymous said...

what was the record thats a good catch of silvers

Silverfox Match Angling said...

The record was 43lb exactly so beaten by 12oz.