Sunday 9 December 2012

Sunday 09/12/2012 - Landsend Individual Winter League - Round Two - Specimen, Match and John Walters Lake

After another breakfast at Wendy's and the same comment from two chews “one sausage too far” it was off to the draw.
 
As we take it turn to fish the three lakes it was our sections turn on Match Lake. Probably was a blessing as the fishing has generally depleted across many venues with this lake being one of the better stocked Lakes.
 
In to the Match Lake draw container and out comes peg 21. Happy with this as it has plenty of Silvers history. Arriving at the peg I found Beanie (apparently Mike Duckett told him he had to fish the league or get a ban from the fishery - definitely a yokel) on peg 22 and Steve Seagar on peg 19. However, what was most off putting I had Tony Rixon opposite me on peg 3, usually if we draw opposite we struggle – not that I am superstitious!
 
I set up just the two rigs – a 4x12 Jolly for the margin and a 4x 14 to be initially to be fished at 11.5 metres, but because I thought the wind would be difficult I changed to 10 metres, this float suited another two swims as the depth only varied by a few inches which was marked by my waterproof pen on the line – 11.5 metres at 10 o clock at similarly at 5 metres.
 
I started by feeding the LH margin with some casters – and if there were any fish there, which I doubt, had a free feast. I fed a few big maggots on the 5 metre line. Starting on the 10 metre line with 3 mm expander hook bait over kinder potted 2 mm pellet I had a liner first put in as the expander was still on the hook. I dropped it back in and caught a 2lb F1. I worry when I catch this early in a match, but it could also mean the start of a good match. In for the third time and another F1, this time on the drop – happy days. Celebrations were too early as the swim died – worries founded I 'm thinking. What I musing about was that I wasn’t getting any bites from the Ronnie’s on the expander as they love this bait on this venue.
 
I then made the decision to switch to Pinkie and maggot, but first I switched to a 808 20 hook, but still using 0.14 hook length. I kindered in four maggots with a big pinch of Pinkies, and with a single red live maggot and a Pinkie on the hook the swim came alive catching a few small Skimmers and Ronnie’s with the odd Carp. I kept switching hook baits from double to treble Pinkie – big red maggot on its own didn’t seem to have the same effect. I did have a run of three Carp in three put-ins but because of the clarity of the water it was always going to be hard to keep the big fish in the swim. A pattern formed where I would have a few Silvers then it would go quite for a long time before hooking another Carp. 45 minutes before the end I hooked a big Ghost Carp which after a long fight I lost it at the net. I think I was fooled by the clarity of the water thinking it was nearer the surface than it looked – bugger. I did recoup catching one more Carp just before the whistle, making it nine Carp in total.

The strong gusting wind made it difficult to present the bait properly all of the time so rested on the 5 metre line with various baits and that is all I did do - rest!
 
My Carp weighed in at 48lb and my Silvers 6lb 13oz for a grand total of 54lb 13oz for third overall and a Lake win.
 
With Bela coming third on John Walters Lake we had another van double pick up – more tin crushing in Bar Gar-age followed.
 
The match and the Silvers was won by Nick Merry (pictured right) from peg 40 on Specimen Lake. Nick weighed a total of 63lb 11oz which included 18lb 8oz of Silvers. Nick caught at 16 metres along his end bank margin using caster over caster. Nick fed very little caster throughout the match.
 
Full Result:
 
1.      Nick Merry 63-11-0 peg 40
2.      Alan Oram 61-05-0 peg 32
3.      Mike Nicholls 54-13-0 peg 21
4.      Clint Wojtyle 52-11-0 peg 31
5.      Steve Seagar 45-15-0 peg 19
6.      Adrian Jefferies 44-03-0 peg 5
 
Top Silvers:
 
1.      Nick Merry 18-08-0 peg 40
2.      Tony Rixon 13-05-0 peg 3
3.      Aaron Britnell 10.10 peg 11   

No comments: