Saturday 15 December 2012

Saturday 15/12/2012 - Viaduct Christmas Open - Campbell and Carey Lakes

The talk at the draw was how Christmas matches in the South West have declined over recent years. It wasn’t long ago that all the pegs were sold out for this Viaduct match, leaving it difficult to get a ticket. Much different to today where we had only 30 fishing. I think it’s all about costs as the total cost of the match was £36 – too much me think especially when adding the petrol and bait costs. However, a thanks goes to the fishery for the complimentary seasonal drink.
 
In to the draw container and out comes peg 112. I was happy with this as it has both Silvers and Carp form, but not recently.
 
I had purchased a bag of Prawns at ASDA (first ever try with them) which I split between me and Bela (I have to confess to eating a few last night with my dinner). So a 4x12 Jolly margin rig to be fished in the RH margin (behind me) at 5 metres was set up for this new bait. Then the Silvers rig which was the usual 4x14 Jolly to be fished short at 5 metres and longer at 11.5 metres. Finally it was the turn of the 4 metre whip.
 
The initial feed was some chopped Prawn with caster potted into the margin. Followed up with a pot of caster dribbled in at 11.5 metres. Finally a pot of dryish GB with Pinkie at 5 metres.
 
Starting on the 5 metre line with double Pinkie I was soon in to a 1lb Hybrid.  Followed by with four decent skimmers to 1 ½ lb. Then unfortunately I hooked a 3lb Carp which totally disrupted the peg. I had another small Skimmer before I hooked my second Carp which total buggered the peg. So it was in to the margin and after a short wait I hooked my third and last Carp. I was hoping to catch a Perch or two from this margin but the Carp was the last bite I had here. I then struggled for the next three hours I couldn’t get the Ronnie within whip distanced and was forced to fish for then at 11.5 metres over my caster line. This proved very hard on my hands forcing me back short.
 
My Silvers weighed 9lb 9oz for fifth in the Silvers and a disappointing one out of the Silvers pool by 3oz. If only I could have got the Ronnie’s closer – that’s fishing. Adding my three Carp took my total to 24lb 10oz for tenth overall and a bottle of wine and a tin of biscuits. So the jury is out on Prawn as bait.
 
However, Bela caught a 12lb Carp first cast on the prawn adding another one on this bait for his four Carp tally of 44lb 1oz from peg 86 and a section win.
 
The match was won by Martin Preston (pictured right with his winners Christmas hamper) with a worthy 109lb from peg 126. Martin caught on the waggler fished at various depths with red maggot hook bait. Martin fed ….nothing! As did runner up Andy Lloyd – how do they do this?
 
The Silvers was won by Fred Roberts (pictured right) with 11lb 9oz from peg 126. Fred caught hand size Skimmers on red maggot over casters at 24 metres.
 
Full Result:
 
1.      Martin Preston 109-0-0 peg 124
2.      Andy Lloyd 88-03-0 peg 116
3.      Steve Denmead 54-10-0 peg 96
4.      Dick Bull 51-14-0 peg 125
5.      Bela Bakos 44-01-0 peg 86
6.      Alan Oram 42-14-0 peg 115
…..
10. Mike Nicholls 24-10-0 peg 112
 
Top Silvers:
 
1.      Fred Roberts 11-09-0 peg 126
2.      Steve Jackson 11-03-0 peg 132
3.      Phil Cardwell 10-02-0 peg 130
4.      Gary O’Shea 9-12-0 peg 129
5.      Mike Nicholls 9-09-0 peg 112
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

brilliant day! thanks to steve and paul well run chrimbo match. cant wait till next year hopefully get a bottle of baileys next year!!!!! but the bacardi was very nice hic! Fabio