Monday 19 November 2012

Sunday 19/11/2012 - Viaduct Silversd Series - Round Five - Campbell, Carey and Lodge Lakes

For the second match running on this series we were welcomed with an over night frost, clear bright skies and flat calm. At least it wasn’t snowing!
 
My thinking was for a draw on Lodge as I thought the Skimmers wouldn’t feed in numbers whereas Lodge Lake has plenty of small Ronnie’s which tend to feed whatever. In to the draw bag and out comes peg 59 on Lodge. I was happy with this even though it’s a noted Carp peg. Three times on Lodge and three time poor Clayton Hudson has been on the dreaded Carp peg 66. Plus it was my third time next to Tony Rixon who arrived on peg 60 (must be some Skimmers about after all) I was hoping that the tree to my left (which needs pruning over head) would provide some cover and expected to catch a few decent Ronnie there, but at risk of latching in to a Carp or two.
 
I set up the waggler, which was planned for the last part of the match, but before I could use it leaves had blown over the middle of the Lake making it impossible to use. I set up two Ronnie whips one short and one 4 metre. I also set up a 4x12 Sensas Stainey to be fished at 9 metres close to the outside edge of the tree, in the hope of a Skimmer or two or more likely a couple of big Perch.
 
Just before the all in we had a tirade of bank walkers with wheelbarrows and all sorts of gardening implements walk past – apparently out to save the Blue Butterfly. There was a steady stream of Mardon Club Anglers throughout the match from Spring Lake. I think the walkers worry the anglers more so than the fish.
 
I started short on the caster and started to catch Ronnie’s 1-2oz steady, but due to the water clarity they would frighten off after catching a few only to have to wait for their return. I had been feeding caster regularly under the tree and could only manage one Ronnie from this swim – but no Carp! The short swim had slowed, so it was out on the 4 metre whip. All through the first four hours or so I could hear big sighs from peg 60. Up to the last ¾ hour I was giving “Mr Big Sigh” on peg 60 a right “whipping”. That was until the Ronnie’s did a disappearing act and “Big Sigh” caught three big Skimmers fishing 16 metres. I sat at 9 metres during this period where I hooked and unfortunately lost what I believed was a big Perch. I weighed 7lb 15oz for a section second. With only one match remaining I now have 15 points with a 4 pointer to drop so out of the overall league money as I don’t believe in miracles.
 
The match was won by young Joe McMahon (pictured below centre) with 24lb 13oz from peg 21 on Campbell Lake. Joe caught at 13 metres switching between double dead red and caster catching over GB and caster. Joe helped his weight by netting two big Perch from his margin with caster over caster. I must say that I had been very impressed with Joe over this series – it’s about time he stopped listening to dad Martin! Well done Joe – you deserve to get in the overall frame.
 
 
Bela drew crap again peg 105 on Carey, which has come last in section all series. That was until today when Bela reversed the trend by snaring a 3 ½ lb Bream on the tip to sneak the section away from the flyer pegs in this section. So for the second consecutive week we have had double pickups, which today deserved a couple of Pinky Ponks in Bar Gar-age.
 

Full Result:
 
1.      Joe McMahon 24-13-0 peg 121
2.      Tom Thick 19-06-0 peg 94
3.      Nicky Collins 17-04-0 peg 68
4.      John Gray 13-02-0 peg 112
5.      Matt Tomes 13-0-0 peg 71
6.      Steve Mayo 12-12-0 peg 90
 
League Positions: (one match remaining; with one worse result to drop):
 
1.      Steve Kedge 7
2.      Bob Gullick 8
3.      Tony Rixon 9
4.      Steve Mayo 9
5.      Tom Thick 9

Finally: Clive Petite landed a Specimen 3lb 15oz Perch from peg 119

No comments: