Thursday 27 September 2012

Thursday 27/09/2012 - Bathampton AA - Over 55's and Disabled - Bridge Pool

Bob Warren and I had our usual breakfast at Asda. It’s not bad for the price.
 
I was looking forward to a rain free match, but unfortunately we had another heavy down pour sufficient to get everything soaked – again.
 
In to the draw bag and out comes disc 32. Pegs 34 to 30 don’t see the sun all day this time of year and can be cold – by the end of the match I was shivering. I drew this peg a few matches ago and had 140lb and very few Silvers, and as per the last match I had that very nice window fitter Paul Haines on next peg 33. The peg looked dead with no sign of fish, as did many of the pegs at this end of the Lake. However, there were a few Ronnie’s topping in the margin. So the Ronnie rig was set up and an optimistic Skimmer 4x16 jolly rig to be fished at 6 metres down the inside shelf. Finally the margin paste rig.
 
I decided to feed some CW&C inside some of my Skimmer GB at 6 metres but started on the single caster over loose fed caster. First cast I had a Ronnie which felt very cold. I carried on catching the odd fish which included some small Perch for about twenty minutes before the swim died. So it was out on the optimistic rig with worm and for ten minutes fish were pulling off the worm. I soon landed one of the culprits – tiny 2oz Skimmers. Once these critters drove me mad I went back on the Ronnie rig catching a few decent fish to 12oz. I then hooked and landed a 10 lb Common on this rig which took an age to land. This killed the swim so a change of tactics and it was soft 4mm expander over knubs of GB. This resulted in a bite a chuck from the tiny Skimmers, but adding very little to by weight. With now two hours remaining I switched to the paste in the margin, the upshot was I landed three more Carp losing one foul hooker and one at the net with the hook pulling free. My four Carp weighed in at 37lb 2oz and my Silvers 9lb 12oz for a total of 46lb 14oz. I was surprised to find that this put me second in the Silvers and third overall – happy days.
 
It looks as if we are now going in to winter mode for the Silvers.
 
The match was one by John Smith (pictured right with his catch) with 85lb 10oz (only because Bob Price threw back his Silvers to make room for more Carp) from peg 6. John fished 16 metres to the end of the opposite island catching his fish on either meat or 8mm banded pellet.
 
The Silvers was won by Rich Coles (lower pictured right with the overall winner) with 27lb 2oz. Likewise Rich tried CW&C and fail to catch. It wasn’t until he switched to soft pellet over micro that he caught hand size Skimmers throughout at 11.5 metres.
 
Full Result:
 
1.      John Smith 85-10-0 peg 6
2.      Bob Price 85-4-0 peg 18
3.      Mike Nicholls 46-14-0 peg 32
4.      Ray Bazeley 40-07-0 peg 14
5.      Dave Bacon 36-13-0 peg 15
6.      Terry Bruton 35-12-0 peg 4
 
Top Silvers:
 
1.      Rich Coles 27-02-0 peg 11
2.      Mike Nicholls 9-12-0 peg 32
2.      Andy Smith 9-12-0 peg 10

No comments: