Sunday 23 September 2012

Sunday 23/09/2012 - Viaduct Silver League - Cambell, Carey and Lodge Lakes

Today saw the start of the Viaduct Silvers League and with 46 of the top Silvers Anglers in the South West (and some over from South Wales) fishing it was going to be a very competitive series. However, I think we have started the league a tad too early because the Carp were sure to be a bloody nuisance to all anglers. The weather forecast promised rain all day and they didn’t disappoint.
 
I was hoping for a draw on Carey, after a breakfast in Woody’s with “Two Chews” Bakos it was late into the draw bag and all the last four of us drew on Lodge, with me on peg 62. It wasn’t one of the pegs that figured in my pre-match thinking, or one I would have chosen. But that’s fishing and we have to make the most of the draw. Looking at the pegs in my section I was anticipating a second in the section as I didn’t expect to beat peg 59 which is also an end section peg.
 
Looking at the water colour it was quite clear a good Ronnie colour. So I choose not to fish GB but focus on the messy business (CW&C which because of the rain made it more messy than usual) and caster. So the first rig was a 4x14 Jolly to be fished at 6 metres with either caster or the messy business. Next was my Ronnie rig to be fished on the top set with single caster over loose feed. Finally I set up the 4 metre whip in case it got hard.
 
It was about now that Clayton Hudson decided to throw himself in to peg 66, but only after landing on his number 8 section, which did make a resounding crash. Luckily mate Bela came to his rescue lending Clayton one of his spares.
 
I started by potting in CW&C at 6 metres at 10 o clock, but started fishing on the Ronnie rig and started to catch small Ronnie’s. Looking around the Lake it was soon obvious it was  a slow start, so I was please when I had two 1lb Roach and one 2lb Hybrid in consecutive casts -  happy days – not - the next fish was a double Common Carp which broke my top two into two - Chinese fighting sticks. So it was out on the CW&C and was soon into another good Roach. Next put in it was another big fish; however, this time I played it until I confirmed it as another Carp, then hand lined it on the elastic until it came off.
 
Back on the Ronnie rig and another run of small Ronnie’s until the Carp arrived. It was impossible to feed caster without attracting the buggers. What made things worse they were disrupting the Silvers, making the Ronnie bites very iffy. After trashing the Jolly rig on yet another big Common Carp using double caster over the CW&C line I went out on the 4 metre whip and had a decent run of small Ronnie’s, it wasn’t long before I was playing yet another Carp which was very interesting on the whip as it took a while to determine the species. The upshot was that I hooked ten big Carp and weighed in 16lb 10oz of Ronnie’s – unfortunately with no Skimmers. As expected peg 59 won the section, however, I was disappointed not to beat the Monk swim peg 64 where Barry Fitchew weighed 21lb. I ended up with 3 section points.
 
The match was won by Phil Cardwell (pictured right) with 56lb 7oz from Lodge peg 70. Phil caught most of his fish on CW&C fed through his kinder pot, feeding about 1 pint casters and a MP of worms - Phil didn't "buy his fish" - well done matey. In fact most of the framing weights were caught on the messy business.
 
Full Result:
 
1.      Phil Cardwell 56-07-0 peg 70
2.      Tim Pallant 54-05-0 peg 80
3.      Steve Kedge 44-05-0 peg 125
4.      Stuart Barnet 43-14-0 peg 100
5.      Paul Green wood 41-01-0 peg 77
6.      Don Sutherland 33-15-0 peg 97

No comments: