Thursday 23 August 2012

Thursday 23/08/2012 - Viaduct Cost Saver - Campbell and Carey lakes

Back down for the Viaduct Skivers Match – also know as – The Cost Cutter.
 
Unbelievable, that’s the only description for this fishery with nine anglers breaking the ton and two breaking the double ton and one triple ton.
 
With two draw tickets left in the coffee tin – I pulled peg 132, the last peg was 111. I would have been happy with either peg. Arriving at the peg I was surprised to see how much the peg had changed, due the ever encroaching Willow tree. After cutting off a few of the smaller branches I was able to get in close enough to reach the bottom of the RH margin.
 
I settled for two rigs – both identical 0.4 gram paste floats. One set for the margin and the other 4 inches deeper to be fished at 2 o clock at 9 metres. I also decided to fish left handed, but abandoned that after getting in a bit of a pickle with the landing net and pole!
 
The water was dead calm, the skies bright and little sign of fish, so this decided me on an initial gentle approach with the feed. However, I started by putting a big pot of micro down the margin at 9 metres, but started out front with paste, kindering some micro. The upshot was I had had a very good first hour. However, the next three were very difficult. I did manage three Tench, two Skimmers and two Perch down the margin during this time. The last two hours were very productive adding 19 Carp for a total of 25 – all on paste.
 
My 25 Carp weighed in at 160lb 1oz and my Silvers 14lb for a grand total of 174lb 1oz. I just wished I could have had a similar productive middle three hours of the match – but that’s fishing.
 
The match was won by Jim Baines (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 306lb 15oz from peg 102. Jim caught on his favourite popped up bread fished up 3 foot and 3 ½ foot off bottom. Jim uses 1/9th of a piece of white bread on a longish hair rig. Jim fed 4 pints of hard 8’s over the top throughout the six hours. Jim has now averaged 270lb over the last 8 matches – very impressive if you like fishing the lead.
 
The Silvers was won by Steve Tanner with 40lb 4oz from peg 127. Steve fished his margin with 8mm hair rigged pellet fished over loose fed hard 6’s. Steve fed about two pints catching Bream to 3lb.
 
Full Result:
 
1.      Jim Baines 306-15-0 peg 102
2.      Lewis Greenwood 275-08-0 peg 111
3.      Dan White 200-03-0 peg 124
4.      Mike Nicholls 174-01-0 peg 132
5.      R Hawkins 162-11-0 peg 126
6.      Bob Walters 162-06-0 peg 131
7.      Mike Smith 110-10-0 peg 114
8.      Rich Coles 108-02-0 peg 115
9.      Mr Scribble 105-06-0 peg 128
 
Top Silvers:
 
1.      Steve Tanner 40-04-0 peg 127
2.      Rich Coles 37-06-0 peg 115

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone told me they saw him catch a duck and a seagull during the match so he cannt be fishing it under the surface, not really within the rules...

Chris Fox said...

1/9th of a piece of bread, thats a rather exact and odd size.

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Jim told me he cuts his bread into a OXO frame, which is 3x3=9.

He also takes off the crust and feeds the remanats away from his bread bait to keep the Ducks away.

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Anon

Technically if the bread is at least one water molecule below the surface then it's within the rule - impossible to police, especially if Anglers lets line off after casting to raise the bread to the surface.

I was until recently trapped in time, thinking that the orginal rule of no floating baits were still relavant. However,apparently the rule is no surface baits. The question for me is which came first the rule change or the fishing method? I think Dog Busicuits will be next as they are more effective than the bread.

Being a traditionlist none of the above is for me, except bring the carp up in the water makes it very diffuclt to pin them on the bottom.

Thank heavens for Tony Rixons pole only matches and the Silvers fishing.