Wednesday 4 July 2012

Wednesday 04/07/2012 - Avon Angling Open - Acorn Fishery - Paddocks

Arrived early for breakfast, but wasn’t first, that was Dave Blakemore. I was hoping that the rain would stop today and give us all a chance to dry out and relatively speaking it was reasonably dry. However, the resident Peacock still looked a bit bedraggled (pictured right with her three chicks).

In to the draw container and out comes peg 31. I wasn’t sure about the peg as Bela had it last time we were down together and he DNW’d. So I rang Glenn Bailey who appears to be the resident professional and he wasn’t much use as he said it isn’t normally in – how many does he fish against?

Not expecting to catch many Carp I set my sights on the Silvers although this was a little dangerous as Tony only pays two. The plan was to fish for Silvers down the margin with my Ronnie rig with caster over caster and later put paste over the top. I also set up a paste rig to be fish with the top set plus one. The rest of the pole stayed in the rod tube. On the whistle I fed a pot of micro over the out paste line at 10 o clock and kept and feeding six hard 4’s intermittently. I started on the caster in the LH margin. For the next three hours I had a great run of small Carp and Silvers, in fact I caught – Dace, Perch, Rudd, Roach  (to 1lb), Skimmers, Tench, F1’s, Crucian and hybrids - nine species. The swim died so I rested it and tried the paste out in front and caught four small Carp, losing two foul hookers, but it was slow, so back on the caster and a few more Silvers graced the net – until it slowed to a stand still, so I switched to paste in the margin just as Spectator Bakos arrived. I had a few more Silvers including a 2lb Tench then the Carp moved in and started to catch a better stamp of Carp to 8lb. I think Bela is a Jinx because every time he went for a walk I bagged up on Carp!!

My Silvers went 36lb 2oz for a Silvers win and my Carp 65lb 8oz for a grand total of 101lb 10oz for third overall.

For Tim Palanta information I fed just over half a pint of casters, with enough left to re-bag up for tomorrows match, half pint of micro and a handfull of 4's.

It proved to be a very satisfactory and enjoyable days fishing, another one to remember. I can see why it is becomes a very popular fishery.
The match was won by Mike West (pictured right collecting his Wonga from the organiser also below with the Silvers winner - Mike dosn't get on my blog very often) with 112lb 5oz from peg 5. Mike caught primarily in his LH margin using Paste over pellet.

Full Result:

1.      Mike West 112-05-0 peg 5
2.      Chris Davis 105-12-0 peg 7
3.      Mike Nicholls 101-10-0 peg 31
4.      Nicky Collier 86-02-0 peg 38
5.      Tom Mangnall 85-10-0 peg 26
6.      matt Tomes 82-13-0 peg 13

Top Silvers: 

1.      Mike Nicholls 36-02-0 peg 31
2.      John Bradford 29-12-0 peg 10
3.      Andy Gard 25-14-0 peg 40

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike, that was a cracking weight from peg 31 yesterday. A lot of
anglers struggle on that peg if it is in.
Cheers
Kevin Collins