Sunday 1 July 2012

Sunday 01/07/2012 - Avon Angling Top Five Open - Viaduct Fishery - Campbell Lake


The fixing of the Libor rate (London Interbank Offered Rate) affects us all, and is one of the underlying influences that have put the Country in to recession. There is no doubt in my mind that we are just scratching the surface on such issues and hopefully we haven’t heard the last of taking these greedy bastards to task through the courts. Bob Diamond and his likes should already be banged up – whether he did or didn’t know – but I think he did. I know they have cost me a lot of my retirement income as well as many hard working fellow countrymen directly or indirectly – bastards!! 

Back down to Woody’s cafĂ© for breakfast and a good one it was too, especially the sausages. 

Bela was ahead of me for the draw and had picked peg 119, he was over the moon. I wasn’t that sure and thought how unlucky he was as peg 120 was in so it was a question of who had the most wind cover between the two pegs, it wasn’t Bela!! 

By the time I got to the coffee tin there were three pegs left (I will have reduce the amount of pre-draw chatting I am doing) 111, 131 and 125. I would have been well pleased with 135 for the Carp and 125 for the Silvers. I pulled peg 111, OK, but is opposite peg 130 (my doom peg). Peg 125 would have been my choice today as the Silvers have been around this peg – luckily for me not today as the Silvers had an off day, probably eating the eggs from the third Carp spawn of the year. I found my self between two Carp crunchers – Andy Bryant peg 112 and Martin McMahon peg 110. 

Two rigs, a 1 o clock paste rig at 6ish metres and a RH margin paste rig – job done. On the whistle I fed a pot on Micro on both lines and started on paste at 6 metres. Amazing in seven put in I had seven decent Carp – was I going to empty it – not as it all slowed up, well not exactly the fish moved up off the bottom and I had a frustrating hour losing foul hooked Carp, trying all sorts of feeding patterns to get them down again. 

Bugger it, in to the margin and after catching one small Carp, a tiny Skimmer and two Tench I hooked a 10 pound Common Carp, which, when during lifting it out in the landing net tipped me and my box off our legs and I nearly ended up having a swim!! That would have caused a right laugh. I then hooked one of those mental Tench which left me going for a walk along the margin to retrieve the remnants of my rig. That was it for the day. 

Back out on the 6 metre line which I had left alone and I had a run of Carp all blowing at the paste. I then hooked a Common Carp which found a Willow branch, but skilfully I yanked it free and got it in the net. Unfortunately, the next carp found it and unskilfully lost it but did land the branch. I couldn’t believe when on next put-in I hooked another good Carp only to play it and a branch to the landing net before I pulled put – bugger, as this cost me coin today.  My few Silvers weighed 4lb and my 18 Carp 103lb 11oz for a total of 107lb 11oz for seventh overall. 

The match was won by Bathampton Finest – Shawn Townsend (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 192lb 12oz from upper spit peg 128. Shaun caught on hard pellet over pellet. 

The Silver was scraped home by John Bradford from my favourite peg 116 with a mere 19lb 12oz. John caught on CW&C. 

Bela chucked 50lb back and probably runner up in the Silvers weight – Dad always told me to always weigh in.

The overall winner today was Avon Angling with seven pole and landing net breakages around the Lake. I gave Martin McMahon a red card for pole abuse breaking his twice on peg 110 giving him an early bath.

Full Result:

1.      Shaun Townsend 191-12-0 peg 128
2.      Dean Malin 165-15-0 peg 135
3.      Craig Edmonds 139-08-0 peg 120
4.      Paul Elmes 136-12-0 peg 127
5.      Tony Rixon 115-04-0 peg 123
6.      Phil Harding 110-04-0 peg 129
7.      Mike Nicholls 107-11-0 peg 111

Top Silvers:

1.      John Bradford 19-12-0 peg 116
2.      Craig Edmonds 15-04-0 peg 120
3.      Edie Wynne 13-12-0 peg 126

No comments: