Sunday 17 June 2012

Saturday 16/06/21012 - Viaduct Open

Today is the “Glorious 16th June”, the start of the coarse fishing season, which is the date we have historically chosen for our annual fishing holiday. However, because of the advent of Commercial Fisheries and no close season on Canals it’s not so “Glorious” these days, but we do have our holiday to look forward to instead.

This year we elected to visit Viaduct Fishery, choosing one of the two new Lodges’ (pictured right – with Glenn Bailey stocking the Pinky Ponk - more on the Lodges later). The line up is Mark Tanner, Bela Bakos, Glenn Bailey, Martin “Woody” Woodington and me, with Tim Ford planning to come down midweek for a couple of days to bank run for us and a good drink in the evening. Unfortunately, Bela had to cancel because of the pressure of work; he can only work when it’s not raining, so well behind!

Luckily Woody’s cafĂ© open in time for this holiday, giving our resident gourmet Chef a break.

I was hoping for any peg so long as the first two numbers were 11. Not quite out came peg 130. Not one of my favourite pegs as it tends to be a bit of a Carp Slayers peg with the lead and waggler the order of the day. I must admit there were plenty of Carp showing out by the aerator. I elected to ignore this and fish the usual short pole. The wind was again blowing in to me at 1 o clock and was gusting in all directions. I set the usual Skimmer rig and Paste rig to be fished at 7 metres and a paste rig for the RH margin. Starting on the meat for the Skimmers I hooked and landed two decent Carp, before I landing a couple of Tench and some hand size Skimmers. The wind was a nightmare. I then had a blank period with no signs of fish. So I switched to paste over micro, which only produced a small Carp. I was struggling to say the least. I pumped up some expanders and tried them and did have a few more hand size Skimmers. But I was getting pestered by the Ronnie’s taking the pellet on the drop. I decided to walk the section to see what was happening and from what I could gather everyone was struggling, so in with a chance of coin, back to the peg and head down with meat which accounted for three more Tench, two more Carp and more hand size Skimmers. The margin produced nothing of mention – just some speared motherless.

My Silvers weighed in at 25lb 14oz and adding my five Carp weighing 30lb 13oz for a total of 56lb 11oz. This left me third in the Silvers and third in the bank section.

The match was won by Martin Lenaghan (pictured right) with 188lb 6oz from peg 119. martin caught long down to the end margin using 8mm hard banded pellet fished over loose fed 8’s.

The Silvers was won by Silver guru Charlie Barnes (pictured right) with 30lb 5oz from peg 80. Charlie caught on 4mm expander fished over wetted hard 4’s fished at 10 metres up to the spit.


Glenn drew peg 85 on Carey and netted 10 Carp for 83lb 6oz for section second and Woody on his first visit drew peg 123 on Campbell – a peg I am still waiting to draw!! Woody netted 59lb 12oz.
Full Result:

1.      Martin Lenaghan 188-06-0 peg 119
2.      Dan “The Dude” Squires 167-05-0 peg 78
3.      Jim Cooper 161-10-0 peg 110
4.      Phil Caudwell 139-15-0 peg 115
5.      Jon Gray 125-12-0 peg 116
6.      Nick Ewers  111-01-0 peg 111

Top Silvers:

1.      Charlie Barnes 30-05-0 peg 80
2.      John Green 29-10-0 peg 126 (He’s Back)
3.      Steve Jackson 28-03-0 peg 129
4.      Mike Nicholls 25-14-0 peg 130

No comments: