Wednesday 16 May 2012

Wednesday 16/05/2012 - Avon Angling Open - Match Lake and part Specimen Lake

I had planned to pick up Ray Bazeley, but Paul Haines decided to go too, so it was a re-run of Sunday. Paul and his van arrived dead on time, but I couldn’t help noticing how sad (miserable might be a better description) the baby Seal looked on the side of his van (pictured right). They say you get to look like your pet, as witnessed here – Paul’s look- a-like.

As I said it was a re-run of Sunday breakfast in Hanham Wetherspoons and Paul on Match peg 7, Ray ditto on peg 15 and me Specimen peg 35. For company I had Tony Rixon on peg 36 and Adrian Jefferies (again) on corner peg 33. Des Shipp was on peg 40 and came up before the all in and said it would fish crap – Tony disagreed – as it happened both were wrong!!
I set up the usual two rigs one to be fished at 11.5 metres for the Silvers and a 4 metres meat rig to the left for anything else. After feeding the short line I kindered in some micro and with the usual soft pellet on the hook proceeded to catch nothing, not even a Ronnie. It was going to be hard. Tony was suffering similarly. I then had a sudden rush of Ronnie’s and Skimmers before the line completely died, even though I kept trying it, there wasn’t any sign of a fish in the peg. Coming in on the meat line I had two big Skimmers, a F1 and some Ronnie’s which persuaded me to set up a Ronnie caster rig. But as soon as I started to loose feed the caster the swim died, resulting in one bite – cripes. Back on the meat and a few more Ronnie’s gave themselves up, plus on 10lb and a 3lb Carp. I then hooked another double Carp, however, I had the Sensas side pull-a-top-kit on and unknowingly pulled the protector sleeve away from the top set and when pulling the elastic found it jammed in the unprotected carbon slot, resulting in the elastic cutting through half the thickness. So I was buggered I couldn’t let the elastic go neither could I add a section if the Carp made a dash for it, which it did, resulting in a lost hook. That was it I didn’t add anything else to the net for the last 3 hours. It was nice in the sun though. Even though Tony was struggling he did have a bonus Grass Carp that weighed 11lb 1oz (pictured right – what lovely fish, it’s a pity they are banned from being imported in to the UK).

My silvers weighed in at 13lb 9oz and my two Carp 12lb 13oz for a not so grand total of 26lb 6oz. very disappointing off this usually good Silvers peg.

The match was won by Eddie Wynne (picture right landing his last Carp – why is he re-feeding then – habit) with 112lb 4oz from peg 31. Eddie caught all his fish on banded pellet fishing either 18 or 30 inches deep at 16 metres (Eddie is also picture lower right with some of his winning catch)

The Silvers was won by Tom Thick with 25lb 12oz from peg 19.
Full Result:

1.      Eddie Wynne 112-04-0 peg 31
2.      Adrian Jefferies 93-13-0 peg 33
3.      Des Shipp 91-15-0 peg 40
4.      Chris Davis 87-08-0 peg 22
5.      Andy Curry 85-0-0 peg 1
6.      Tom Thick 79-04-0 peg 19

Top Silvers:
1.      Tom Thick 25-12-0 peg 19
2.      Eddie Wynne 22-02-0 peg 31
3.      John Bradford 19-04-0 peg 24

No comments: