Thursday 22 March 2012

Thursday 22/03/2012 - Bathampton AA Silvers Championship Presentation Match - Withy Pool

With the Silvers Championship over Mike Jones organised a Silvers Championship presentation match, the format to include Carp, similar to the Coffin Dodger matches.

I have been suffering with a nasty irritating cough over the past week hardly getting any sleep, inherited from my twin Granddaughters, so I wasn’t 100% today.

In to the draw bag and out comes disabled peg 67, this a point peg where you can fish in to the main bowl of the Lake, so fishing long might be the right attack. But not for me I settled on a maximum of 11.5 metres for the Skimmers with my 4x16 Jolly set up. The only other rig I set up was my Ronnie rig to be fished to the left with caster over caster.

I started by feeding the long Skimmer line with a pot of 50/50 mix of micro and caster and started feeding the caster line which I started on giving the Skimmers chance to settle. This only produced one missed bite so I kept feeding the caster here whilst I gave the Skimmers a chance to get in the keep net. I was soon in to Skimmers from 3oz to 2lb, but it was slow, as all the anglers seemed to be suffering similarly (I could see most anglers from my swim). I re-fed the Skimmer line and went back to give the Ronnie’s one more chance. I was pleasantly surprised to find they had arrived eager to frustrate the hell out of me with what may appear to be missed bites (it might have been the vibration form my cough). Once I hooked one they were well worth catching ranging from 3 to 8oz.  When it slowed I would try the Skimmers but although I knew it was a waiting game for these I couldn’t help think “I could have had a Ronnie by now”. So knowing dam well that I wasn’t giving the Skimmers a fair crack of the whip, it was back on the Ronnie’s far too soon. I was rewarded with a 3lb tech over the Ronnie line. I noticed that Bill Ferris was doing well on loose fed maggot so decided to put a pot in over the Skimmer line. Still being over occupied by the tormenting Ronnie’s, unfortunately it wasn’t until the last ten minutes that I put triple maggot over the Skimmer line and hooked a 3lb Skimmer which slipped the hook at the net, which amused some anglers. I had a gut feeling that this would cost me and it did – first Silvers place. My Silvers weighed in at 19lb 4oz for second in the Silvers and fourth overall.

The match was won by Ray Bazeley (pictured right with the Silvers winner) from peg 58 with 30lb 2oz. Ray’s catch included two Carp to 14lb and two Bream. Ray also caught on maggot.

The Silvers was won by Terry Bruton on peg 47 with 19lb 15oz. Terry caught short fishing maggot over maggot.

Full Result:

1.      Ray Bazeley 30-02-0 peg 58
2.      Bill Ferris 21-10-0 peg 68
3.      Terry Bruton 19-15-0 peg 47
4.      Mike Nicholls 19-04-0 peg 67
5.      Dave Poole 17-08-0 peg 49
6.      Mike Owens 16-01-0 peg 66


Top Silvers:

1.      Terry Bruton 19-15-0 peg 47
2.      Mike Nicholls 19-04-0 peg 67
3.      Dave Poole 17-08-0 peg 49

No comments: