Thursday 8 March 2012

Thursday 08/03/2012 - Bathampton AA Silvers Championship - Withy Pool - Round 6

Another Fallow Deer (thanks to Martin Preston for pointing out my wrong assumption re Roe Deer) was on display on the hill behind the pegs in the 50’s.

The draw for the final four in the knockout put me against matey Rich Coles, who subsequently drew peg 45, which has a reasonable history for Skimmers, but not as late.  Again any peg not beginning with 5 would be fine for me, out comes peg 62. This peg has a good recent history for section wins so I couldn’t really ask for more, but debateable whether I would beat Rich from it. It looks as if my draw arm has at last adjusted to new the draw tickets and tight draw bag.

Peg 62 is last peg on the far bank so an “ender” with a reasonable amount of room. I had Paul Staite for company on peg 61. The last time I drew this peg I won the match with Carp, as it tends to be a reasonable winter Carp peg. Also you need to fish long to get down the inside shelf so I took the Normark feeder rod with me. On Andy Shields advice I set up the usual Jolly to be fished at 11.5 metres and the feeder to be fished at 20 metres, both out in front. I started by feeding 50/50 micro and caster on the pole line but started in the GB feeder with a 3mm soft pellet on the hook. First cast a Ronnie snatched it off on the drop, so I switched to triple maggot, which sat there for five minutes before I gave up on it and went on the pole with soft pellet. I started to catch small Ronnie’s and Skimmers (1 to 2oz) quite regularly and was quite happy doing this as no one appeared to be catching. After two hours it slowed up after which I hooked and landed two big Skimmers in consecutive put-ins. It then went quite and I didn’t have a bite for half hour so I put in two big pots of 50/50 caster and micro and sat over it with soft pellet. It was very slow and I was beginning to think I had buggered the peg. I kept trying the feeder to rest my hands which again ended up with an impatient nothing. Back on the pole resulted in another two big Skimmers, but not much else. I decided to fish out the last 15 minutes on the feeder which lasted four minute, before I was back on the pole. This time I put on a big worm and had a 3oz Perch – not a good sign – so out again with worm and just before the whistles I hooked and landed another big Skimmer (4 pounder). My Dad always said it is only a Bream if you can’t pick it up in one hand! My Skimmers and Ronnie’s weighed in at 20lb 2oz for a section win and first overall. My 4lb Skimmers won the biggest fish prize – happy days.

Unusually Rich Coles struggled off his peg managing only 3lbs odd. So in to the knockout with John Smith who knockout Terry Bruton off the next peg.

My pair’s partner Mike Owens drew well with peg 49 and got a section second, which hopefully now puts us back in the lead of the pairs.

Ray Bazeley (pictured right with the match winner) won the accidental Carp with the smallest Carp in the Lake.

Full Result:

1.      Mike Nicholls 20-02-0 peg 62
2.      Chris Rolfe 15-15-0 peg 59
3.      Dave Wride 14-05-0 peg 46
4.      John Smith 13-04-0 peg 73
5.      Mike Jones 10-03-0 peg 69
6.      Bob Price 9-05-0 peg 56


Accidental Carp:

1.      Ray Bazeley 3-15-0 peg 57
2.      No One!!

No comments: