Sunday 19 February 2012

Sunday 19/02/2012 - Landsend Individual League - Specimen, Match and John Walter Lakes

With a full house in the Fountain Café plenty of banter was on the menu. Trigger took his life in his hands when he took the urine out of Deano, luckily Trigger has longer legs, but only just!!

Bela and I were guesting once again for Avon Angling – Landsend Individual league and found ourselves on the not so popular (by the majority of anglers – not me though) - John Walters Lake. Because of the cold NNW wind and predicted sunshine I was hoping for any peg on the far bank, pegs 68, 66 or 58 would do. In to a proper draw bucket with proper draw tickets that can be properly rummaged (take note Mr. Mike Jones), and out comes peg 41. A peg with plenty of history for Carp and Silvers, so wasn’t disappointed. Arriving at the peg I found the sun behind me and a cold strongish wind blowing at me at 11-o clock. It was strange because in the café I sat next to Eddie Wynne with Bela sat opposite Eddie, and that was how we ended up on the Lake with Eddie on next peg 42 and Bela on opposite peg 68. The probability of this is of the order of 1,331:1 (winning the lottery is 14, 000,000:1)!!

It’s a strange designed peg as it has an end peg island (you need to see the peg to understand). The end bank margin has plenty of cover with dense immature trees – a no, no for me as it looked “suicidal rig”. I decided that with the bright sunlight that the fish would want some cover so set up a 4x14 margin rig to be fished at 4 metres tight up to the inside bank just pass a clump of small weed cover. I was surprised to find 4 feet here. The final rig was also a 4x14 Jolly to be fished out in front at 7 metres. After feeding the margin with ¼ pot of casters, I started on the soft pellet over micro. First put-in I had a small Crucian. The next two put-ins resulted in me I pulling out of two more. I then had a strange period (far too long as it happens) where I was missing bites landing the odd Crucian. This kept me distracted for three hours (half the match), before I decided to switch to double caster over caster and “hey presto” a 9lb Mirror in the net. I then started to put a few F1’s and Crucian’s in the net before the wind took it’s toll on me, so I rested my hands in the RH margin where I could lay the top four on the bank. Kinder potting in a few casters with double on the hook I had a run of Ronnie’s and Rudd, followed by four decent Perch which I estimated to be 3lb. I then had two more 6lb Carp before trying the 7 metre line again which had slowed considerably only resulting in one F1. With half hour to go, and because by now I was freezing cold I decided to put the wind on my back and go back in to the margin and with two minutes to go I missed a bite losing my double caster to a crafty fish who was hell bent on making sure I didn’t win the Lake!! On the weigh in I put 15lb 10oz of Silvers on the scales which was enough for a Lake Silvers win adding my three Carp weight of 21lb 8oz which totalled 37lb 2oz which was enough for a Lake second and surprisingly a fifth match overall.

I must say that Tom Thick’s angling has come on leaps and bounds over the last year, as his results show. But what has impressed me most, is how he is prepared to take the initiative when it comes to weighing in – nice to see. I can see another Tony Rixon in the making – yes Tony was only a lad when he joined our City of Bristol Team.

The match was won by Dell Housen (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 63lb from peg 21 (next peg to Tony Rixon). I am not sure how Dell caught but suspect in was long pole and pellet.

The Silvers was won by Tony Rixon with 21lb 10oz from peg 19. Tony caught on … see his blog for details.

Full Result:

1.      Dell Housen 63-0-0 peg 21
2.      Phil “Fabio” Harding 58-14-0 peg 1
3.      Ken Rayner 40-03-0 peg 70
4.      Tony Rixon 39-04-0 peg 19
5.      Mike Nicholls 37-02-0 peg 41
6.      Clint Wojtyle 36-04-0 peg 31

Top Silvers:

1.      Tony Rixon 21-08-0 peg 19
2.      Martin Pettifer 19-09-0 peg 11
3.      Fabio 18-14-0 peg 1

1 comment:

MIKE JONES said...

I thought you would like our new over size draw cards now that you are having difficulty holding on to things, although I do have great difficulty prizing your entry money from your purse!