Thursday 15 December 2011

Thursday 15/12/2011 - Bathampton AA Over 55's And Disabled - Christmas Match - Bridge Pool

Another good turn out for the Coffin Dodgers Christmas Match. With the weather forecast being do uncertain I was expecting a few to drop out, as it happened we had only one no show. The talk before the draw was whether or not we would miss the worst of the weather. Mike Jones got it right with a 09-15 draw fishing to 14-15. We certainty had the best weather of the week so far.
It was great to see BAA (Mike Jones) keeping the traditional Christmas match fare going (see picture right) – thanks Mike, it does take hard work which I know is well appreciated by all participants – keep it going matey.

In to the draw box and out comes peg 7 – another disable peg along the road side. I can’t complain as I have had my fair share on the natural side. I set up two rigs – one I didn’t use, so it was all down to the 4x16 Jolly. I had a good plumb round and found a deep scallop at 5 metres, which was about 4 metres wide and shallowed up at about 10 meters.  Thought this area would produce a few Skimmers so started here with a small ball of GB laced with dead reds. With triple maggot on the hook in I went and sat there for an age watch John Smith on next peg 8 catching a 6oz Skimmer every put in, whilst my float just sat there. John explained that he fished the peg last week and struggled. I re fed and did have two decent Skimmers. I was struggling and was in a hole – literally! I plumbed around again to search of shallower water and found some towards John Smith. So I re-fed another ball of laced GB and had a run of decent Skimmers, but no where near enough to catch John. For the next two hours I had just one Skimmer. So with twenty minutes left I needed a Carp, so out on another two sections of pole and started to drip in some micro at 10 metres. With 8 minutes to go I was blessed with a bite and I was soon aware I had hooked a decent Carp. However, it felt strange and was worried it was foul hooked so I played it very carefully as it was going to be a very important fish. Just after the whistle I was relieved to have landed an 11lb 11oz Carp, in the nose!! I was surprised that my few Skimmers weighed in at 10lb 15oz to contribute to my 22lb 10oz overall weight which left me second overall behind as expected John Smith who also had a low double Carp.


The Match and the Silvers was won by John Smith (pictured right with his “peas in a pod” net of Skimmers) with 20lb of Skimmers and the one Carp. John caught at 10 metres) level with my 5 metres as he was set back behind me). John caught on red maggot over GB and potted casters.



Below is the picture of today attending Coffin Dodgers:


Full Result (From Left to Right):

Terry Church 1-05-0
Bill “Pikey” Ferris 5-10-0
Paul Haines 14-04-0 (4th peg 24)
Chris Rolfe 18-0-0 (3rd peg30)
Bob Warren 3-06-0
Terry Bruton 13-0-0 (6th peg14)
Mike Jones 12-04-0
Dave Gillard 6-04-0
Harry Muir 7-04-0
Ray Bazeley 0-03-0 (Last)
Rich Coles 11-10-0
John Smith (1st peg8)
Dave Greenslade 0-08-0
Alan Jones 2-05-0
Pete Philips 13-01-0 (5th peg 14)
John Wild 0-06-0
Dave Bacon 07-13-0
Dave Poole 0-08-0
Mike Nicholls 22-10-0 (2nd peg7)

Top Silvers:

1.      John Smith 20-08-0 peg 8
2.      Chris Rolfe 18-0-0 peg 30
3.      Rich Coles 11-10-0 peg 5
4.      Mike Nicholls 10-15-0 peg7

No comments: