Sunday 27 November 2011

Sunday 27/11/2011 - Carps AC Silvers League - Round Six - Viaduct Fishery - Carey and Spring Lakes

After another great breakfast in the Canards’ Well it was off to the final round of the Carps AC Silver’s League at Viaduct.

I was quite optimistic today even though the forecast was against us – bright sunshine and high winds. Once again everyone wanted to be on Spring Lake. It was pass the coffee tin, which I was third into and out comes peg 80. Not such a favourable draw, which also happen to set an unlucky theme for the day. That said I was still hoping for another 20lb to make it 20lb+ off every peg in the series.

I set up just the two rods – waggler and feeder with dead reds and caster on the bait table.

I discovered today that dry casters can be catapulted 5% – 10% further than wet casters. However, if you buy then from Avon Angling and wait two hours the casters will go miles further – because they sprout wings!

First cast on the double red maggot on the wagged fished over loose fed caster resulted in a bite. I struck unknowing that the line had caught around the pole roost (why I had used the pole roost beggars belief as I hadn’t set up the pole) and I broke the line at the reel. This was just the start of a bad day at the office. Whilst I set up again I chucked out the feeder with triple red maggot with five weeks old GB and caster in the feeder. I had nearly set on the waggler again when the tip went round and I landed a 1lb Skimmer, plus I retrieved the waggler line with a 4oz Skimmer on the end which fell off as I lifted the line. At least I got the line out and my new “second hand” waggler. As I was untangling the waggler line I mistakenly broke off the feeder rig, so I was left with nothing to fish with!! So after a failed rushed attempt to get fishing again it was a count to ten to calm myself down. Having set both rods up again I cast the waggler for the second time and hooked a good fish – not a Carp it wasn’t big enough for this Lake. I saw a spiky dorsal fin and was thinking big Perch, alas not; it was the smallest Carp in Carey a 3 pounder! That released and the third struggle of the season started. I must say the first half of the match wasn’t one of my best switching between feeder and waggler and managing to catch nought. It took the second half on the match for me to gain some sort on calmness and consistency, concentrating on the waggler. I started to put a few fish in the net in between hooking two more disruptive Carp. The frustration continued to some extent as I pulled out of five good Skimmers even though the fish I caught were deeply hooked (probable why - pulling out of the fleshy part of the throat). I must say I wasn’t unhappy when the whistle went. My net of Perch and Skimmer went 10lb 6oz which was fourth in the section. Not the 20lb I was hoping for, but considering the conditions I felt I did the peg justice especially taking into account my initial bad angling.

The match was won by Stu Foale’s (pictured right with his funny hat hiding his new hair do) from Spring Lake peg 16 with 38lb 3oz. Stu fished 13 metres with either caster or red maggot over GB. Stu operated two lines throughout.

Today’s weight plus three draws on Spring Lake helped Stu to overall league winner picking up £250 and a holiday in Majorca. Bela and I are waiting for the invitations to join him!! Well done matey.

I must say the league was a success with the final league result being close right down to the top sixteen anglers. Without fear of contradiction I believe that this league had the cream of the South West Silvers Anglers taking part – not an easy league to win without the help of the Gods me thinks.

Full result (on the day):

1.      Stu Foale 38-03-0 peg 16
2.      Lee Werret 34-09-0 peg 18 (drew this peg three times)
3.      Steve Kedge 32-02-0 peg 76 (1lb 8oz Eel included)
4.      Clive Pettit 24-11-0 peg 17
5.      Tim Pallant 22-01-0 peg 105
6.      Gordon Cannings 19-15-0 peg 78


Top Six Overall Money Winners (Final Position five matches count):

1.      Stu Foale 7pts 152lb 9oz
2.      Tim Pallant 7pts 127lb 11oz
3.      Bob Gullick 8pts 115lb 12oz
4.      Lee Werret 9pts 194lb 3oz - Ave 39lb per match
5.      Rowland Lucas 9pts 142lb 5oz
6.      John Green 9pts 131lb 10oz

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As with age loss of reactions sight and stamina.Skimmers lost on waggler must be anglers inability to sense and see.

Anonymous said...

Fair play to stewart Foale, as i think he was the only one interested in a holiday to shag-al-uff lol.
Bob G